5830vpureset

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello, I have had a recurring problem with my ATI Radeon 5830. When played games that put much stress on my computer, I receive a message saying that my VPU has reset my graphics accelerator to stop my computer from receiving the infinite loop error. Now this is all fine and dandy, but it happens every few minutes and I effectively cannot play the game. The games that have done this so far are Starcraft II, and it has had the most problems as it would happen constantly. Guild Wars (happens near constantly on 1280 by 1024, reduced to 1024 by 768 and it happens every 2-5 minutes), and League of Legends has had the least issues only happening once or twice. I have a 650 Watt power supply so I doubt that would be an issue, here are the rest of my specs.
XP Professional 32 bit (5.1, Build 2600)
3322MB of RAM
Intel Quad Core @ 2.40 GHz
ATI Radeon 5830 1G of memory with brand new drivers installed

If anyone could help at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Check the power vrm and the vram. You can run a test that can check the vram for errors while the power vrm can be checked by hand to see if it is getting to hot if there is no sensor for temps. If the power vrm gets to be to hot it will not supply power as it normally would and would make the card act as if it were overclocked or the gpu core overheated thus the vpu reset. Both Nvidia and ATI cards behave like this when there is a physical issue. As for driver I can't help you there as I don't own a DX11 ati card.

dwightdean

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I'm getting the same message. I'm going to try dusting the inside of the computer box with an air hose. If that doesn't work, then I'll try replacing the driver. I have had some virus problems in the past, so maybe the driver was corrupted. I only get the message at power up.

DwightinSantaClara