[RESOLVED] 6 GB RAM, 2.36 usable

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS, and I have 6 GB of RAM on my laptop. However, Windows states that only 2.36 GB of RAM is available. What could be the source of this problem?

Sorry, I'm new to this and do not know what other information could be helpful in resolving this issue.

EDIT: In the past, the laptop's RAM was much higher than the 2.36 GB it's at right now. I know this because the Window's experience rating was 7.5 for memory before, whereas today when I updated it as it had suggested, was ranked a 5.5. Furthermore, I was also able to run two memory demanding programs at once in the past, which would have exceeded the 2.36 I have available right now. I have made no changes to my computer's hardware, however it stated today that new hardware was discovered on the computer, thus requiring an update to the Windows Experience Index. Hopefully this information helps!

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Several different things could cause this. The first thing that comes to mind is that you're not actually running the 64-bit version of Windows. If you have a dedicated GPU and 32 bit windows, the computer will have to allocate some of your RAM addresses to map the GPU.

The second thing is that you would have defective RAM or a defective RAM slot.

Third thing is an integrated GPU that has went suddenly Godzilla level hungry and tried to map up all your RAM to itself.

General_Terror

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit can address 16 GB of RAM. Maybe the problem is that your laptop can't go beyond 3 GB. It would be good to know the details about the laptop ( Brand and model number ).
( A BIOS update might help but only do it if you know what you're doing )

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

It is described as 64 bit under Computer -> Properties

The graphics card is also dedicated, with 1 GB Memory.

The RAM is organized in a 4 GB + 2 GB format. How can I check if the RAM/RAM slot is defective? The laptop is also new, it arrived last week.

skaz

Distinguished
hit start, type resource monitor, hit enter. Select the Memory tab. Sort the Processes by Working Set (KB) with the highest being at the top.

Take a picture using "snipping tool" then post image. (use imageshack or something similiar).

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

scaled.php

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I don't know, something's not right. I would call Acer just to make sure you / we aren't missing something but something seems wrong. Have you gone into the bios to see which ram is installed? Consider RMA

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
The Notebook shipped with 2GB + 4GB, and if the 4GB were dead then Total would not exceed 2048MB (2GB).

Boot into the BIOS, look for an option to Load Defaults or Load Optimized Defaults. My guess is approximately 3GB (3072MB) is being allocated for the onboard video.

Otherwise, run MSCONFIG and set as follows:
Boot_OPT.gif

skaz

Distinguished

Couldn't tell you to be honest.

If my earlier recommendation of editing the MSconfig doesn't work, make sure you motherboard drivers are up to date and/or if you comfortable updating your BIOS. all that can be found on the manufacturers website. Before updating the BIOS I would consult their tech support if it is something you haven't done before.

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

It's already unchecked

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

I was unable to find an obtion to Load Defaults, however I did notice in one section of the BIOS, the Total Memory was listed as 6144 MB and the Video Memory was listed as 128 MB.

The MSCONFIG settings were also already as you had displayed them

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Its nVidia Optimus, so it uses both the Integrated GPU and the nVidia GPU. Listed are the Intel HD graphics family and NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

Here's the simple observation, in the image posted above it shows 2413MB (2GB is 2048MB) which screams that the 4GB stick is working.

The Hardware reserved suggests, as I said and am saying again, the 'some' peripheral (iGPU, Shared device, etc) is sucking up 3GB (3072MB). Generally this partition is controlled in the BIOS.

Therefore, Load Defaults, disconnect anything attached to the Notebook, and try running System Restore.

If Total was (less) <2048MB then sure you'd have a bad stick of 4GB. You 'can' try to shutdown and remove the 2GB stick and boot-up to see what happens. It takes a couple of minutes and a Phillips head screwdriver.

richardliu_96

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Did both of these, computer is back up to 5.85 GB of available RAM.
Thank you all for your assistance!

scaled.php

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Interesting article on Win 7 memory and Resource monitor. I have the same situation with 8GB Total-5627 in use and 2432 available. I have 2X1GB video cards and have tried to change BIOS, not update it, Windows devices only startups etc., which don't allow you to run most programs, removing unneeded start up items but it seems to have little effect on available memory.