Graphics Card Problem With New Build

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
The rundown is that I bought a Sapphire HD 6870 1gig for my custom build. Everything has been working perfectly apart from this card. In games (such as Splinter Cell Conviction and L4D2) there is a horizontal line that blurs a small section of the screen. Even though it is relatively new, I have read about some problems with this VGA card in regards to low fps rates (I have experienced it a little).

My questions are:
Is there a reason for these problems?
Will this card be able to run New games (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, etc) in full HD?
Will this card be able to run New games (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, etc) in a 3x1 eyefinity setup [3 full HD <24 inch monitors]?
Is it worth upgrading to a 2gig card for the above complications?

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
What screen do you have?

What is its refresh rate?

It sounds to me a little like screen tearing.

Two things to overcome this:

1) make sure vertical sync is enabled as this is a good card and is capable of more than 60fps but if it is running at say 70fps and the refresh rate of your monitor is 60hz then it will tear. Vertical sync caps the card at 60fps or whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is.

2) check to see if there is a bios update for your motherboard, and then check ATI for driver updates. I have experienced a friend of mine having this problem and a bios update solved it.

Will this card be able to run New games (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, etc) in full HD? - Yes it will. But this also depends on the rest of your system. A good graphics card on its own doesnt mean a good gaming system.

Will this card be able to run New games (Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, etc) in a 3x1 eyefinity setup [3 full HD <24 inch monitors]? - It will be playable but i don't know to what extent.

Is it worth upgrading to a 2gig card for the above complications? - If you are going for a triple display then yes i would suggest a 2gb version.

hope this helps.

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Its a Samsung 226BW. 2ms GTG, 75 Hz x 81 Hz (verticle -horizontal)

The graphics card and Hard drive are the bottlenecks. I have an i7 2600K, AUSU P8P67 Evo B3, 16gig of G.Skill 1600Mhz ram, 850W antec supply.

Everything is fully updated (apart from win 7 service pack).

I wont be getting using the eyefinity setup in a hurry due to my studies, but I am trying to keep it future proof so that I have no problems with games after this/next year

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
OK thanks,

Have you tried direct x diagnostics? They may show something.

Also have you enabled vertical sync within your games? If not try that.

if nothing shows and everything is updated, then i would suggest taking it back and changing it for a new card.