Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge-E delayed until January 2012??

Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2011 9:47:25 AM

Wow, what's going on at Intel? It seems like the company has decided to delay its entire consumer desktop roadmap, as we've now heard from a very reliable source that Intel has pushed back the Sandy Bridge-E launch from Q4 this year to January 2012.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/sandy-bridge-e-delayed-unti...
July 1, 2011 3:41:25 PM

omg, intl pushed back SB-E?? that has never happened before and was totally unexpected!! please say it isnt so!
July 4, 2011 7:04:16 AM

Hope that is not true. I am waiting for it..... but I also read on others, due to Intel has too many stock of Sandy Bridge in the channel, therefore they decided to delay the Sandy Bridge-E. Nooooooooooo...
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 8:59:57 AM

They have no rush. AMD Bulldozer was delayed as well, so there's no rush for Intel (except fans eagerly awaiting the overpriced madness that will release later than expected) to release their new chipset, so they can continue to design and develop it to its maximum potential.

I'd not wait too hard on SB-E. It's going to be expensive, as will be Ivy Bridge, and you can get away with a 2600K or something similar much better.

EDIT: For gaming, that is... :) 
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 10:02:30 PM

That's because Intel is top dog right now, and with the delay of Bulldozer (and possibly low expectations) they might as well keep selling their current line which is top end. No reason to hurry out their next lines
a c 473 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 115 å Intel
July 4, 2011 10:11:30 PM

Not a big surprise and not a big deal (at least to me).

I'm guessing that means Ivy Bridge is pushed back as well, but that's okay since I don't plan on upgrading my Q9450 until sometime next anyway.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 10:34:29 PM

Going for "bleeding edge" tech really doesnt make sense except for bragging rights for most home users

Look at jaguarskx
Very smart
look at his rig with the Q9450
what software/game/app is really going to push his system to the limit
why only do a one or two generation jump

look how many users got burnt by the chipset problem early last year
true they got replacements
but usually you dont want to buy Version 1.0 of anything
bound to be revisions and recalls with almost any product
that is that is V1.0

plus if you wait for V1.2 to come out then you usually get it cheaper
and more stable in general

buying bleeding edge is kinda of a suckers game
I remember VCRs that cost $500 USD
now you cant give one away
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 10:52:23 PM

So my 2600k is going to remain top dog for a bit longer, oh well. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 11:07:35 PM

What did you have before the 2600k mousemonkey :)  ?
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 11:10:43 PM

wait just looked at your config mousemonkey
you had the E8400/8800gt then went to 2600k/560SLI?
that is a nice upgrade IMHO
makes sense
going from a highend C2Q/I5/I7 to SB wouldnt
Just my opinion
I could be wrong.....
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 11:12:29 PM

king smp said:
What did you have before the 2600k mousemonkey :)  ?

The 2600k replaced the E8400 rig that I was using for gaming as that rig replaced the Q9550 rig that was used for everyday donkey work because the motherboard started to fall apart.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2011 11:16:47 PM

AAAH
what happended to the Q9550?
darn thing is literally worth its weight in gold LOL
a c 473 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 115 å Intel
July 5, 2011 12:44:02 AM

king smp said:

Look at jaguarskx
Very smart
look at his rig with the Q9450
what software/game/app is really going to push his system to the limit
why only do a one or two generation jump

Yeah, the only reason I'm upgrading next year is because I plan on switching over from DVD to Blu-Ray. Since I encode my library of movies to be stored on my HTPC, I'll need more performance if I want to encode Blu-Ray movies. I did a simulated run encoding a DVD up to 1920x1080 resolution using x.264. The Q9450 was only able to encode around 6 frames per second.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 2:39:21 AM

Tell me about it Jag
I wouldnt upgrade except I cant record/encode streaming HD on Netflix with my
Core2Duo 3.0ghz
I get decent 640x480 with Xvid at 2048kbps/29.97FPS
but just cant do HD
but I can wait for now (budget says I have to wait anyway LOL)
July 5, 2011 3:31:52 AM

map01ch said:
Wow, what's going on at Intel? It seems like the company has decided to delay its entire consumer desktop roadmap, as we've now heard from a very reliable source that Intel has pushed back the Sandy Bridge-E launch from Q4 this year to January 2012.

I don't see how delaying an enthusiast platform equates to delaying the entire consumer roadmap... Ivy Bridge is still expecting a 2012 launch to replace current LGA1155 Sandy Bridge processors.
July 5, 2011 4:24:48 AM

sykozis said:
I don't see how delaying an enthusiast platform equates to delaying the entire consumer roadmap... Ivy Bridge is still expecting a 2012 launch to replace current LGA1155 Sandy Bridge processors.

I was expecting to sometimes in Q4 this year, which means i have to wait until next year then....
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 5:44:36 AM

sykozis said:

AFAIK Ivy Bridge was never designed to replace SNB. It'll simply be too expensive. It's a new socket, new architecture and with SNB already being as great as it is, Ivy Bridge will walk the same road as the i7-980 and i7-990 CPU's are going now. They will be awesome. They will be powerful. And they will be extremely expensive, not a replacement for the fairly "budget" Sandy Bridy CPU's of today. Sandy Bridge is going to walk a long road, and I'm fairly certain it will last a few more years.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 6:42:59 AM

king smp said:
AAAH
what happended to the Q9550?
darn thing is literally worth its weight in gold LOL

I gave it to my best mate as he has a working motherboard that supported it.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 8:54:24 AM

Ah, you must be very good friends. I'd be happy if a friend gave me a superbly overclocking CPU... :) 

Great CPU's they are. I'm still stuck with my Q8400 :( 
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 3:25:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I gave it to my best mate as he has a working motherboard that supported it.

you are a good friend
like I said they are worth their weight in gold literally
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 4:18:39 PM

Toxxyc said:
Ah, you must be very good friends. I'd be happy if a friend gave me a superbly overclocking CPU... :) 

Great CPU's they are. I'm still stuck with my Q8400 :( 

king smp said:
you are a good friend
like I said they are worth their weight in gold literally

Yeah, we're brothers from different mothers ;)  but I spoke to him today and he informed me that it doesn't work in his motherboard and that he thought it was a Q6600! :lol:  So he's going to try it in his 680i board and if it doesn't work in that (and I don't think it will) then there will be a Q9550 up for sale if anyone's interested.
July 5, 2011 4:31:47 PM

Toxxyc said:
AFAIK Ivy Bridge was never designed to replace SNB. It'll simply be too expensive. It's a new socket, new architecture and with SNB already being as great as it is, Ivy Bridge will walk the same road as the i7-980 and i7-990 CPU's are going now. They will be awesome. They will be powerful. And they will be extremely expensive, not a replacement for the fairly "budget" Sandy Bridy CPU's of today. Sandy Bridge is going to walk a long road, and I'm fairly certain it will last a few more years.

Ivy Bridge will first launch on Socket LGA1155, replacing LGA1155 based Sandy Bridge processors. Sandy Bridge-E will launch on socket LGA2011, to later be replaced by LGA2011 based Ivy Bridge processors. Ivy Bridge is a refresh of the Sandy Bridge architecture.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 4:46:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yeah, we're brothers from different mothers ;)  but I spoke to him today and he informed me that it doesn't work in his motherboard and that he thought it was a Q6600! :lol:  So he's going to try it in his 680i board and if it doesn't work in that (and I don't think it will) then there will be a Q9550 up for sale if anyone's interested.

I hope it works for him
I know I would be sad if it didnt

and at the very least you should make a tidy sum off of it

very desirable processor for LGA775 owners
a c 111 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 4:55:33 PM

map01ch said:

Sandy Bridge E is a workstation/server platform.

It is a big deal, as its main competitor is Interlagos/Valencia
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 5:05:27 PM

Okay I am confused
SB-E is a workstation/server?
They are giving up Xeon branding?
I thought I just saw a Xeon-SB come out
a c 111 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 7:59:40 PM

king smp said:
Okay I am confused
SB-E is a workstation/server?
They are giving up Xeon branding?
I thought I just saw a Xeon-SB come out

There are Sandy Bridge 'E' Xeons for s1155 -- but it's a mess to figure out. Some have the IGP --- some don't. Same with HT. Single-socket stuff. Maybe you were thinking about Xeon 'Nehalem-EX' on the enterprise side from last year ??

*E* is a Xeon designation. There are *L* and *W* Xeons, too --- I think these letters relate primarily to the TDP. The numbering sequences relate to sockets, total CPUs per platform, max nodes, etc.

I think there are 3 main designations for the upcoming SB-Es -- not sure if they will be as above -- but I'm fairly certain they will all be s2011.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 8:11:38 PM

I didnt think I was hallucinating again

helf.

An updated spec sheet reveals that the recently introduced Xeon E3-1290 runs at 3.6 GHz with four cores, but the chip's turbo boost will scale the clock speed to 4.0 GHz when running on only one core. What makes this processor particularly interesting is the fact that it is closely related to the i7-2000 Sandy Bridge series, which would indicate that Intel could be launching a 4 GHz desktop processor as well

from toms article
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-e3-1290-4-g...
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2011 8:31:26 PM

so I also saw this
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=55452

and this
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E3-1290...

so I am still confused (live in a state of perpetual confusion)

I thought that Sandy Bridge E series would be enthusiast series CPUs
not server/workstations

I think of workstation/servers of usually being a dual Xeon
(of course there is single core Xeons)
with a dual socket motherboard

but I notice this Xeon E is a single socket 1155

Is there going to be a dual socket equilavent to 1155?

in the server world multiple sockets are required IMHO
July 5, 2011 10:19:15 PM

No, there will be both Socket LGA1155 and LGA2011 based Xeon processors.

Sandy Bridge-E will be sort of like Nehalem...
a c 111 à CPUs
July 5, 2011 11:16:07 PM

king smp said:
so I also saw this
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=55452

and this
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E3-1290...

so I am still confused (live in a state of perpetual confusion)

I thought that Sandy Bridge E series would be enthusiast series CPUs
not server/workstations

I think of workstation/servers of usually being a dual Xeon
(of course there is single core Xeons)
with a dual socket motherboard

but I notice this Xeon E is a single socket 1155

Is there going to be a dual socket equilavent to 1155?

in the server world multiple sockets are required IMHO

I'm thinkin' Xeon 'E' 1155s can never be dual- or greater socket due to lack of QPI (at least, I don't think they have QPI) -- there would be no socket-to-socket communication.

It's likely that a cut-down SB-E Xeon will be marketed as a super-duper enthusiast desktop, but makes no bones about it, SB-E is about the high-dollar gravy on the enterprise side.

Same deal with AMD. Zambezi on the desktop is fun and games, but they are looking to 'bank' with Valencia and Interlagos in servers/workstations.
!