How long will PCI be around?

seaside_hermit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hey people, just wondering what you think about how long PCI will be around for? Reason being Im trying to choose between a Xonar STX (PCIe) and ST (PCI), and am wondering about how future proof a PCI sound card would be :D. I would normally go for the STX (PCIe) in a heartbeat because of the more modern standard, but theres an expansion card for the ST that adds 7.1 support, rather than just the stereo out of the STX, and that rather appeals to me. However if PCI is going to disappear quite soon, Ill just go with the STX instead :)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just to give an idea of what level of mobo i'd be going for, I update my system every couple years, (updating for Ivybridge), and if I were going sandy bridge I would have gotten the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3...currently rocking an ASUS P5K P35 :p

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Not to sound like a douche, but what could you be doing that requires a $200 sound card. Just get the dx, use the left overs for an external amplifier. Less voltage required from power supply. and you won't notice the difference.