Connecting 2 wireless routers?

willywonkaisrsh

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
So here is my situation...

I live in a duplex. My neighbor pays for his internet and lets me bum it off him. We ran a cable from his Linksys WRT54GS router out of one of his LAN ports under the house to my side of the house. I then have plugged the cable up to my Linksys E1000 router to the WAN port. We both configure our routers how we want them and treat them like two different networks. The settings in both of our routers have been pretty much default except for each of us have changed our own password to access the router, the SSID, and the key to access the wireless. His routers IP has always been 192.168.1.1 and mine was set to 192.168.2.1 and we have not had any problems, until now.

I want to have his router forward all ports to my router by placing my router in his routers DMZ. However, when i go to his settings to place my routers IP address for the DMZ it will only let me but in a 192.168.1.* address, whereas mine resides in a 192.168.2.* address. So, I changed my routers IP to 192.168.1.2 so that I would be able to enter it in under his routers DMZ. The problem now is that as soon as I change my router to any 192.168.1.* address I no longer have internet access.

So my question is, how can I have both routers in the same address field? Also, is placing my router in his routers DMZ the best way to forward everything?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
His computer may have 192.168.1.2, have you tried using a completely different address, like 192.168.1.70? The 192.168.1 field is the network address, meaning that you can only use that network address within his network if you want to be in the same network. Your previous setup worked fine because you were acting as two separate networks connected together, in which one router acted as the gateway to the internet.

Not sure that creating a DMZ is the best way to forward everything, some routers do have settings for forwarding and you can just forward the traffic depending on what it's nature is.

willywonkaisrsh

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

Yes, I did try a random addresses. Something like 192.168.2.100. So is there anyway to have both routers in the same address field of 192.168.1.* and still be considered as two different networks? Both routers had the DHCP servers assigning IP address. Does this have anything to do with it?

doloop

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
There is no point in having two routers in the same network. One should simply be used as an access point and not a router. Also, you do not want two DHCP servers operating on the same network even if they assign addresses in a different address range. Any time a computer connects and requests an address, both DHCP servers will try to assign it. Nothing good will come from that.

willywonkaisrsh

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

I don't want two routers on the same network. I want to consider both routers on their own separate networks while sharing the same internet connection. Which is what we have been doing for awhile now with both routers using their DHCP servers and have not had any problems. However, because the internet connection passes through his router to get to mine, and I want certain ports forwarded, I have to forward both the ports on his router and on mine every time, which is a pain. So I figured a way around this would be to just place my router in his routers DMZ so that I only have to only worry about my routers ports.