Can kingston hyperx blu 1600 1.65v run at 1.5v?

MarcT

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I mail-ordered a i5 2500K cpu, an Asus P8Z68-V LX, and an 8GB kit of Kingston Hyper X blu KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX (XMP) 1.65v. Before choosing the ram, I checked with asus and this memory was in their vendor's list as well as in Kingston's list. Now I find out that Intel requires 1.5v. Can this memory work at 1333Mhz and 1.5v? Or will it cause issues? I don't have to run at 1600mhz, maybey I will experiment with overclocks after the warranties have expired.

Thanks,

Marc T

Solution
Marc T, I suspect you will find an SPD tab that very similarly resembles jaquith's posted picture. No DRAM fab makes "1.65V" DDR3 components, DRAM manufacturers give you modules with higher supported V to keep you within their respective warranties as well as to give you a guideline to achieve best performance but not necessarily a requirement.
Echoing jaquith's sentiment and your reservation, don't bump to 1.65v, stay with what's stable and/or stated in the SPD tab @ 1.5v

EDIT: Also, FWIW, unless you're trying to boast benchmark results or eek every little bit of FPS in a game of your choice, 1600 vs 1333 is going to be virtually unnoticeable to your eye. So don't feel bad if 1333 is all you can get. :)

MarcT

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Hi o1die, Thanks for the reply.

Asus specs for the p8z68-v lx motherboard memory look like this:

DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC

The 1600mhz modules were not listed as (O.C.) so I ordered those figuring the
bios will set them up automatically at 1600mhz just as it would the 1333mhz. I check their vendors list and found the Kingston kit. Now it turns out that if were to run them at 1.65 volts, I could fry the memory controller - great!
Others have said I could void the warranty by plugging these in - great!

I emailed ASUS support to find out. If this is the case, they better modify their damn specs and vendors list so that this 1.65 volt memory is clearly for overclocking. I was looking to buy the fastest compatible memory for a non-overclocked set-up. A lot of folks will make the same mistake.

Ciao!

Macclan_06

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I did the exact same thing and now some people were basically saying it was a bad choice by me on another thread asking to rate a build.. im under the impression of just changing the volts and stuff in bios? or what i have a p8z68-v-gen3 mobo and the same ram here what volts and everything will i have to change this to in bios for stability.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
If ASUS and Kingston both list these modules as validated (which I concur they do), then you're not going to void your warranty. They'll both stand behind you if problems arise, but I doubt you will have any.
Further, these modules are very likely to run 1600 @ 1.5v. Set it that way and see if it's still stable under load. My guess is that they'll be fine. If you're worried and would like to test this 100%, download and create a memtest boot CD and run with these settings for 12 - 24hrs. If no errors arise you'll be A-OK.
(DDR3 is becoming looser on V requirements, and the mfg process of the chips is improving to the point that the chips are stable down to 1.35v in some instances.)

The acceptable voltages are listed under the 'SPD' tab of CPU-z (example below). I would not run the kit @ Rated Frequency of DDR3-1600 @ 1.50v, it's a BSOD or Random Shutdown waiting to happen. More than likely, there's a DDR3-1333 (667MHz) @ 1.50v which should be fine, again assuming (9.9999/10) list under 'SPD'.

Further, I really don't recommend running a DIMM voltage of 1.65v on the LGA 1155 MOBOs, it's not recommended.

'SPD' tab using CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Marc T, I suspect you will find an SPD tab that very similarly resembles jaquith's posted picture. No DRAM fab makes "1.65V" DDR3 components, DRAM manufacturers give you modules with higher supported V to keep you within their respective warranties as well as to give you a guideline to achieve best performance but not necessarily a requirement.
Echoing jaquith's sentiment and your reservation, don't bump to 1.65v, stay with what's stable and/or stated in the SPD tab @ 1.5v

EDIT: Also, FWIW, unless you're trying to boast benchmark results or eek every little bit of FPS in a game of your choice, 1600 vs 1333 is going to be virtually unnoticeable to your eye. So don't feel bad if 1333 is all you can get. :)

Solution

MarcT

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Thank you all for your replies - all were great answers. My bios set up the memory at 1.5v and 1333mhz. It is running cool and stable. I will try 1600mhz at 1.5v, but if unstable will return to default. I now know 1.65v is high for this board/cpu's stock set-up unless I balance it with a properly overclocked cpu/mem controler.

Thanks again!

Marc T.

Macclan_06

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

any more follow up on this man ? or is everything still stable and nice =]

MarcT

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Hi macclan, I haven't tested at 1600mhz @ 1.5v yet. Have been running cool and stable at 1333mhz since the build 3 weeks ago. I don't know when I will try it. I need to read more about setting latencies (cas, ras, t-timings,ect). The others are right about how little I would gain by going to 1600mhz - especially for a Gaming rig.

That said - The set-up I have lends itself well to overclocking - need to read more about others who have the same setup and whose settings were cool and stable. I would be happy with 4ghz cpu speed and 1600mhz ram. Please don't hold your breath as to when I will overclock. Motorcycle season is upon us and my focus will shift until autumn.

Windows 7 performance index for the ram, cpu, graphics are all in the high 7s. The choke point on my rig is the 1 terabyte Caviar Black i'm using - it rates a 5.9. I notice how slow it reads when opening very large photo/video files. Might look into a storage SSD for that stuff.

again, thank you all for your info and support.

MarcT

Macclan_06

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Thanks alot MarcT, Ok so I am getting the hyper kingstons on monday they are on the way already since thursday, when I plug them into my mobo, will it automatically switch them to1333 to be safe, or will I have to manually change them? Im under the impression from other people my mobo will automatically change it, or they come at 1333 at 1.5 volts stock, but have the capability to be over clocked to 1600 and 1.65?? I hope I can just stick them in mobo and be set not have to change anything but if i do its a easy mouse click in bios right?