No Video After Installing HD 6870 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedirtyleg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hi everyone!

My issue is a simple one. I powered up my new system for the first time sans gpu (save for the mb integrated gpu) and it posted just fine. It detected all my ram and installed windows 7 without a hitch. I then powered it down, inserted an XFX HD 6870, and rebooted... except this time I got nothing but a black screen.

I've tried plugging the monitor into both the motherboard and gpu to no avail. I also tried reseating gpu to make sure it was properly connected and that also didn't help. Both power connectors are firmly connected to the gpu as well. Upon removing the gpu and rebooting, I once again had video.

Every part is brand new and works fine without the 6870. Out of the 100 newegg reviews I read for it I can't remember a single one saying that they had to RMA their 6870. Is it possible that I just got a bad gpu?

Thanks!

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
8 GB G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
Stock CPU Cooler
XFX Radeon HD 6870
XFX 750w Power Supply
Corsair Nova 64GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200
Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Case

Solution
I have a brilliant idea. Try switching the video port, I had to on all my hd6850s. Just may be how AMD does it. Also, in the BIOS turn of the Integrated GPU and set the it to find the PCI-Ex slot first. It might, or might nor work.
I have a brilliant idea. Try switching the video port, I had to on all my hd6850s. Just may be how AMD does it. Also, in the BIOS turn of the Integrated GPU and set the it to find the PCI-Ex slot first. It might, or might nor work.

Solution

thedirtyleg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks so much for chiming in, both of you! As it turns out, the integrated gpu must've been getting in the way. I booted into bios without the 6870 installed. I disabled the integrated gpu completely (kind've scary because the screen went black right after), shut down, reseated the 6870, and viola it booted up great.

Also, I started windows and downloaded the latest ATI drivers before I did all that, so that they were already there when I installed the 6870.

Status
Not open for further replies.