Difference between interated and discrete chipset

CanCb

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Can someone please explain to me the difference between an integrated chipset and a discret chipset.

I understand integrated and discrete graphics cards, but I believe a chipset is more than just a graphics card. It includes a northbridge and a southbridge, right?

So what is a discrete chipset?

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

The chipset connects the CPU to external devices such as RAM, the PCIe bus and peripherals such as disks, network ports, etc. Discrete means that these functions are contained in physically separate components. Integrated means the functions are built right into the system.

It can be ambiguous because the distinction between "discrete vs. integrated" can refer to placement of the functionality in either removable cards (such as PCIe cards) vs. chips soldered onto the motherboard - but it can also refer to functionality on separate chips soldered onto the motherboard vs. built right into the CPU chip itself. However it's more common to call chips soldered onto the motherboard as "embedded" components rather than "integrated" ones. In computer system parlance it's more common to hear the term "integrated" to refer to functionality built right onto the CPU chip itself.

Moving the memory controller from the Northbridge into the CPU chip (as in the Core i7 CPUs) is an example of moving to an "integrated" memory controller vs. a "discrete" one.

CanCb

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I was asking because if you go on the AMD Website and look up their chipsets, they seperate them into integrated (780, 785) and discrete chipsets (790). I am trying to understand the difference.