Sign in with
Your question

Partial Build

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2011 5:07:22 PM

OK guys, dad's computer bit it last week. He had someone look at it (maybe Best Buy??), but regardless was told that the motherboard is kaput.
I offered to replace a few things for him and need some advice. I first considered buying a new CPU, mobo and some RAM, but not having done a partial build like that, I'm wondering whether I can, in fact, salvage the HDD that he already has. Also, wondered whether you guys thought I'd also need to invest in a PSU as well? I was hoping to do this for him for under $200, which I'm sure I can do if the HDD doesn't need to be replaced.

Looking at:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition - $99 at microcenter
MOBO: with that particular CPU, they offer a free choice of one of the following:
ASUS M4N68T-M V2 Socket AM3 630a mATX Motherboard
BioStar A780L3G AM3 760G mATX Motherboard
MSI S785GTM-E45 Socket AM3/AM2+ 785G mATX AMD Motherboard

MicroCenter has a couple of other AMD CPU's (Athlon II X 2 255 for $60 and a Phenom II X2 555 for $87), but for the free mobo, I might as well kick it up to the 560.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts about whether I'm going about this the right way, or if I'm leaving something out, please let me know. Remember, this is dad's computer - nothing fancy, basic operations (word processing, looking at photos, web browsing and maybe doing his taxes). I realize the CPU is already way beyond anything he'd need.

More about : partial build

March 30, 2011 6:29:10 PM

Well when the motherboard or PSU gives out, it usualy takes most of the build with it.
If it is salvageable, go with the X2 560 and MSI S785GTM

If you need an entirely new build, which you might, then here's what I would suggest.
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE
$99
Gigabyte GA880GMA-UD2H (has onboard video, so he won't need to buy a video card).
$99
Crucial 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
$45
Corsair CX430 430W PSU
$40
Thermaltake V3 BE
$40
Asus 24X DVD Drive
$20
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB HDD
$60

Total = $490

This build will serve him well, for many years. This includes everything he will need for casual use.
m
l
!