Which uses the most power? The CPU or Adapter Card?

MoreChaosTheory

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
There's a question in Comptia A+ Cert Course that gives the cpu as the right answer.

(Question)
Which of the following components requires the most power? (Choose one answer.)

A. Hard drive
B. Motherboard
C. Adapter card
D. CPU
E. Memory

But as far as I know a power consuming cpu is around 125 watts and I've read that the Radeon HD 6990 can use up to 450watts.

I am finding it difficult to find any solid information about this. People have opinions, but written proof would be even better.

Thanks in advance... :)

For your "average" system, the CPU will use the most power, for a standard dell or HP its usually 60-100W CPU and about a 40-80W GPU. Only high end gaming level GPUs or workstation GPUs use inexcess of 100W, and they are such a small portion that it wouldnt be accurate to list it as such because in your average prebuilt its either onboard GPU or a super low end GPU so the CPU is a much bigger power draw 95% of the time, and since gaming rigs are the exception its not useful to use them for the questions, the right answer is what is right most of the time.

MoreChaosTheory

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thank you, I was cocksure that the Adapter Card was technically the right answer but I see your point of view and accept it as the correct answer. Thanks for the detailed answer. The more I learn the less I know... :D