Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I am THIS close to buying! Would you own this rig?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 30, 2011 6:59:51 PM

Been putting together parts for a new gaming rig for over a month now. Sometimes I change a part here and there per advice from you guys and I THINK I'm ready to pull the switch now.
First of all, money savings is not the real object here. I realize there may be cheaper parts out there that may be on par with my list here, so if you want to recommend something else just based on a cheaper cost, please save your breath.
I really just want to get your opinion of this rig, as if money was not an object. If you see something that should be replaced with a better part, even if it costs more, by all means offer a suggestion. With that said, Newegg is where I'm getting everything, except for my keyboard and mouse, which I've already ordered off Amazon. I already have a 28" monitor and a nice 5.1 speaker system. So with my NewEgg credit card I will have 12 months to pay for everything with no interest, which is really convenient.

CPU: Intel i7-2600K Sandy Bridge (comes with free copy of Shogun2) $329
MB: Asus P8P67 WS Revolution LGA 1155 $260
CASE: Silverstone Fortress FT02B (love the air flow design) $250
PS: Silverstone Strider Gold ST1000-G (will SLI 2 gtx580's in future) $230
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 $140
Vid: eVGA Geforce GTX580 $500
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems rev B $70
CoolerFans: Cooler Master 120mm blue led $12
SSD: Crucial C300 64gb (just for OS) $135
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm 1tb $65
BR Burner: Lite On $125
DVD Burner: Lite On $23
OS: Windows 7 home Premium $100

Grand Total: around $2500 with tax and ship






More about : close buying rig

March 30, 2011 7:33:44 PM

rockitman said:
Been putting together parts for a new gaming rig for over a month now. Sometimes I change a part here and there per advice from you guys and I THINK I'm ready to pull the switch now.
First of all, money savings is not the real object here. I realize there may be cheaper parts out there that may be on par with my list here, so if you want to recommend something else just based on a cheaper cost, please save your breath.
I really just want to get your opinion of this rig, as if money was not an object. If you see something that should be replaced with a better part, even if it costs more, by all means offer a suggestion. With that said, Newegg is where I'm getting everything, except for my keyboard and mouse, which I've already ordered off Amazon. I already have a 28" monitor and a nice 5.1 speaker system. So with my NewEgg credit card I will have 12 months to pay for everything with no interest, which is really convenient.

CPU: Intel i7-2600K Sandy Bridge (comes with free copy of Shogun2) $329
MB: Asus P8P67 WS Revolution LGA 1155 $260
CASE: Silverstone Fortress FT02B (love the air flow design) $250
PS: Silverstone Strider Gold ST1000-G (will SLI 2 gtx580's in future) $230
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 $140
Vid: eVGA Geforce GTX580 $500
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems rev B $70
CoolerFans: Cooler Master 120mm blue led $12
SSD: Crucial C300 64gb (just for OS) $135
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm 1tb $65
BR Burner: Lite On $125
DVD Burner: Lite On $23
OS: Windows 7 home Premium $100

Grand Total: around $2500 with tax and ship


That RAM is out of stock on NewEgg, however, they still have this one:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 9:47:46 PM

Looks like a very nice build I would go for a larger SSD. Even with the 80GB that I have now I find that I am always worrying about putting anything on the drive. With the board you are looking at take a look at the new enthusiast IntelĀ® Solid-State Drive 510 SATA 3 (6Gbit) at 120GB.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 10:04:52 PM

Why not spend an extra $150 now and get the 590? beats spending $1000 for just a little more FPS. You could also save money going with a lower PSU as the 590 would not use the same as 2 580's. Get a good 750W PSU save about a $100 then apply that to the 590 you will spend $50 more now and not have to buy another $500 card later.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 10:11:30 PM

What are you using it for?
In many cases an i5-2500K is fine.
The ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155 Motherboard is also very nice.
That is a very nice PSU, however an 850W Gold is a better choice in my opinion.
Case is perfect.
Just one case fan?
Why not just use the BR Drive for DVDs and CDs?
SSD is good for OS boot.
Have no experience with the CPU cooler.
HDD and RAM are nice.
Video card is nice, even nicer when you SLI.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 10:42:05 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Looks like a very nice build I would go for a larger SSD. Even with the 80GB that I have now I find that I am always worrying about putting anything on the drive. With the board you are looking at take a look at the new enthusiast IntelĀ® Solid-State Drive 510 SATA 3 (6Gbit) at 120GB.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team


Well that's my biggest dilemma right now. Go full bore and buy a 256Gb size right now and that way I can have all my Steam games on it? Or get a minimal size cheaper drive for just my Windows.

I don't agree with the price gouging that is currently going on with SSD technology and I think I will take the advice of another guy here who suggested a smaller SSD just for OS and play the waiting game for SSD to get better while prices get lower.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 10:52:26 PM

SSd's are awesome but high and low on storage IMHO. I went with raid 0 seagate 7200rpm 2TB. Fast with lots of storage. Ust the extra cash to get a amd 6990 or GTX 590 to boot. Nice build though
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 11:05:18 PM

cburke82 said:
Why not spend an extra $150 now and get the 590? beats spending $1000 for just a little more FPS. You could also save money going with a lower PSU as the 590 would not use the same as 2 580's. Get a good 750W PSU save about a $100 then apply that to the 590 you will spend $50 more now and not have to buy another $500 card later.



That's a very good question. One I may have to sit down and ponder on a bit more.

I was probably looking at it from a point of view like this:

There is no game out there right now that can cripple a single 580. I get a 580 now and it's more than sufficient for my needs currently.
I certainly don't want to go "budget" and SLI or Crossfire lesser cards right off the bat. Too limiting for future needs. I'd rather stay with a single card to start and see how things go. Maybe I'll never need another 580 down the road, who knows?

I was just rereading Tom's review on the 590...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...

...and you may have a point here. SLI'd 580's do beat the 590 pretty much across the board, but also at the expense of being much more power hungry. And that has to figure into anybody's build. Electricity in my state, (California) is going through the roof.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the input cburke.

m
0
l
March 30, 2011 11:11:52 PM

JoeAdamsIV said:
What are you using it for?
In many cases an i5-2500K is fine.
The ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155 Motherboard is also very nice.
That is a very nice PSU, however an 850W Gold is a better choice in my opinion.
Case is perfect.
Just one case fan?
Why not just use the BR Drive for DVDs and CDs?
SSD is good for OS boot.
Have no experience with the CPU cooler.
HDD and RAM are nice.
Video card is nice, even nicer when you SLI.


Yes, I've been told that for gaming, the 2600K is overkill. And gaming is the main purpose of this rig but I also do music editing, recording my digital piano to my pc. Not really sure if the 2600K helps out here or not, but I just figured I'd get the best Sandy out there right now.

How is a 850W Gold (which brands?) better than this Silverstone 1000W Gold?

Again, I may have to rething my PSU size if I do change my mind and get a 590 instead of a 580 now and another later.

The one case fan is actually 2 fans by CoolerMaster, and they attach to the Megahalems, as Prolimatech does not clad their CPU cooler with fans. They want you to go out and pick your own.

The Silverstone case needs no extra fans. 3 180mm intakes on the bottom of the case and 1 120mm output on the top help create a convection cooling like no other case I've read about.

The extra DVD burner is a mere $20. If I ever want to copy disc to disc, I don't have to go through the extra motions, dig?


m
0
l
March 30, 2011 11:42:07 PM

rockitman said:
That's a very good question. One I may have to sit down and ponder on a bit more.

I was probably looking at it from a point of view like this:

There is no game out there right now that can cripple a single 580. I get a 580 now and it's more than sufficient for my needs currently.
I certainly don't want to go "budget" and SLI or Crossfire lesser cards right off the bat. Too limiting for future needs. I'd rather stay with a single card to start and see how things go. Maybe I'll never need another 580 down the road, who knows?

I was just rereading Tom's review on the 590...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...

...and you may have a point here. SLI'd 580's do beat the 590 pretty much across the board, but also at the expense of being much more power hungry. And that has to figure into anybody's build. Electricity in my state, (California) is going through the roof.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the input cburke.

The 2 580's will beat the 590 taht is true. So all you need to do is see by how much. then consider that with the extra power and PSU requierments as well as an estimated extra $350 more for 2 580's your probubly looking at something in line with $450-500 more for the dule card setup. I was very criticle of the 590 with some pre release numbers and before we found out how cheap it would be. But at $650 it is a steal and I dont know about you but that extra $400-500 you would save would go along way twards a future 600-700 series upgrade lol
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 11:49:17 PM

cburke82 said:
The 2 580's will beat the 590 taht is true. So all you need to do is see by how much. then consider that with the extra power and PSU requierments as well as an estimated extra $350 more for 2 580's your probubly looking at something in line with $450-500 more for the dule card setup. I was very criticle of the 590 with some pre release numbers and before we found out how cheap it would be. But at $650 it is a steal and I dont know about you but that extra $400-500 you would save would go along way twards a future 600-700 series upgrade lol



Ok, this leads to my next question....

Where in the heck are you finding a 590 for $650??????


m
0
l
March 30, 2011 11:55:01 PM

rockitman said:
Ok, this leads to my next question....

Where in the heck are you finding a 590 for $650??????

Good question lol. I saw that price in an article I read probubly should not have quoted it lol But even at $699 at newegg (when there back in stock) You still save a bunch and can bank that for the next round. Because 3-5 years from not the new cards will give you much more performance than the differece between 2 580's and one 590. I guess thats how my thinking goes.
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 12:04:32 AM

mosox said:
The 580 has a lousy price/performance ratio. The HD 6970 is only a little slower and much cheaper.

That board has the PCIex16 slots too close to each other, not vary good for dual video cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better yet 2 6950's will run about $580 plus you will get some rebates so lets say $550. Then unlock them to 6970's. And with the newly found fact that toms uncovered about AMD's cards scaling much better than in the past what you have is a better perfoming setup at $550 instead of $600 or $1000 :)  I do have an unlocked 6950 it works fine :) 
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 12:13:22 AM

^Or this. If he wants to have insane fps in his games :) 
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 12:30:32 AM


OK, this fan is not blue, but has lots of other features that make it a winner:COOLER MASTER Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm $16

Some other suggestions: Buy another Samsung Spinpoint and put it in a RAID0 configuration to make the HDD more responsive.

I am with you on the SSD - 64 GB is really small - maybe just a little bump to 80 GB? This one is just below $2 per GB, with very nice read/write statistics: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX80G 2.5" 80GB $156
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 1:41:13 PM

Gentlemen, first let me say thanks for all your input. You have helped me immensely. I have modified my build a bit as a result, (and saved a few dollars to boot!). So with that said here's where I'm going at this point:

Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B $250
CPU: Intel i5 2500K $225 (i've heard enough! I'm sold, I don't need the 2600K for games)
PSU: Silverstione Strider 1000w $230
MB: ASUS WS Revolution $260 (it's only $20 more than the Deluxe)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb $140 (it's the CAS 8 model, little pricier than the CAS 9's)
Video: XFX Radeon 6950 (x2) $520 (after mail in rebates, plus the ability to flash this to 6970 will save even more!)
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 (x2) $130 (will run Raid0, already have an external WD 2tb drive for backup)
SSD: FORGET ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW, TOO DAMMED EXPENSIVE, I WILL NOT CATER TO THEIR PRICE GOUGING!!!!!
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem $70
Cooler Fans: Cooler Master cheapies with blue led $12 (kickass fans not necessary for this on a Sandy)
OS: Windows Home Premium $99 (can somebody tell my why I would want to spend the extra $40 for the Pro version?)
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder $50
Mouse: Logitech 518 $25

Already have Hanns G 28" and Klipsch Pro 5.1 sound.

One last thing, I plan to record my digital piano to my computer and was wondering if I need to get a sound card that would offer more in the way of Line Inputs than the integrated sound on the ASUS MB. Any recommendations? If not, I can always scavange out my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum pro from my current rig.

m
0
l
April 1, 2011 4:05:05 PM

rockitman said:
Gentlemen, first let me say thanks for all your input. You have helped me immensely. I have modified my build a bit as a result, (and saved a few dollars to boot!). So with that said here's where I'm going at this point:

Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B $250
CPU: Intel i5 2500K $225 (i've heard enough! I'm sold, I don't need the 2600K for games)
PSU: Silverstione Strider 1000w $230
MB: ASUS WS Revolution $260 (it's only $20 more than the Deluxe)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb $140 (it's the CAS 8 model, little pricier than the CAS 9's)
Video: XFX Radeon 6950 (x2) $520 (after mail in rebates, plus the ability to flash this to 6970 will save even more!)
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 (x2) $130 (will run Raid0, already have an external WD 2tb drive for backup)
SSD: FORGET ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW, TOO DAMMED EXPENSIVE, I WILL NOT CATER TO THEIR PRICE GOUGING!!!!!
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem $70
Cooler Fans: Cooler Master cheapies with blue led $12 (kickass fans not necessary for this on a Sandy)
OS: Windows Home Premium $99 (can somebody tell my why I would want to spend the extra $40 for the Pro version?)
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder $50
Mouse: Logitech 518 $25

Already have Hanns G 28" and Klipsch Pro 5.1 sound.

One last thing, I plan to record my digital piano to my computer and was wondering if I need to get a sound card that would offer more in the way of Line Inputs than the integrated sound on the ASUS MB. Any recommendations? If not, I can always scavange out my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum pro from my current rig.

If you havent ordered yet ( I hope not) I would sugest finding a Brick and MOrter that can sell you those cards for about the same price. I say this because about 5% of them will not unlock or will have issues. So with a real world store you can just return it and try again. At 5% you might not have to but I got a Diamond model first and it was artifacting like crazy. So I returned to to frys and got an XFX and its been great :) . That said those 2 cards will be beast and im jealous lol. Oh and when I say artifacting Im talking about getting artifacts on the windows desktop lol. But you will know right away you wont have to wait. So flash the cards I would say one at a time and run some stress tests and games with each card in there by itself if you dont see any artifacts after some benches and a good bit of gaming the cards good. Then XFIRE and start destroying games lol
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 4:34:28 PM

Thanks for that advice cburke. Unfortunately, the closest thing we got to a computer parts store is Best Buy, so fuggedaboutit! :)  Although I do feel better about the brand I've chosen now for the 6950's.


And so now I've done a bit more modification:

Newegg has $35 off deal on the Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4gb RAM and so I figured what the hell, I'll have 16gb right off the bat and never have to worry about RAM anymore. :) 

Also, there's a screamer sale on Newegg for a 128GB Crucial C300. Getting that for $200 so I'm going to go "hypocrite" and bite the bullet and make that my main drive with 2 of the Samsungs in a Raid 0 as my storage drives.

I have also removed the Lite On Blueray burner for now. I just don't see my self working with BR or even watching movies on my pc, (I have a 73" Mitsubishi for that)

So all in all, it has bumped the price up a hair but not much.

m
0
l
April 1, 2011 4:44:11 PM

rockitman said:
Thanks for that advice cburke. Unfortunately, the closest thing we got to a computer parts store is Best Buy, so fuggedaboutit! :)  Although I do feel better about the brand I've chosen now for the 6950's.


And so now I've done a bit more modification:

Newegg has $35 off deal on the Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4gb RAM and so I figured what the hell, I'll have 16gb right off the bat and never have to worry about RAM anymore. :) 

Also, there's a screamer sale on Newegg for a 128GB Crucial C300. Getting that for $200 so I'm going to go "hypocrite" and bite the bullet and make that my main drive with 2 of the Samsungs in a Raid 0 as my storage drives.

I have also removed the Lite On Blueray burner for now. I just don't see my self working with BR or even watching movies on my pc, (I have a 73" Mitsubishi for that)

So all in all, it has bumped the price up a hair but not much.

NIce, the XFX cards seem to be real good and WORSE case lets say you HAD to flash them back nobody is going to make fun of you for ONLY haveing 2 6950's lol. Your going to have to flash those cards with a command prompt the winflash didnt work for my card. I had to open a cmp prompt as admin and run it through DOS. But yeah a quick download from Techpowerup and 2-3 minutes and I got an extra $100 out of my card :) 
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 4:51:55 PM

Again, that mobo has the PCIex16 slots too close to each other.
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 5:37:53 PM

mosox said:
Again, that mobo has the PCIex16 slots too close to each other.


Well it's designed to hold 3 of them, is that why the spacing is a little tight compared to the Deluxe and others?
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 5:43:34 PM

I misspoke, It's designed to hold 4 pci 16's.

I'm holding a picture of it up next to the Deluxe model , which has 3 pci 16's, and I don't see that it's any better.

I guess I'm not understanding your point. Why can't I put one video card in say slot 1 and the other in slot 3 or 4? Certainly enough spacing then. no?

m
0
l
April 1, 2011 6:05:48 PM

mosox said:
Again, that mobo has the PCIex16 slots too close to each other.

with a case fan it would be fine I think.
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 6:42:17 PM

That's the beauty of this Silverstone case. It takes from the design of the Silverstone Raven in that the motherboard is mounted with a 90 degree turn so that all the perephial jacks come out of the top of the case. This means the video cards are arranged in a vertical fashion as opposed to horizontal. With 3 180mm intake fans at the bottom of the case and 1 120mm exhaust out of the top, it creates a nice convection style air flow which is proven to keep things chilly inside.

m
0
l
!