Sign in with
Your question

Workstation building

Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2011 5:55:06 PM

Hello, I am building a workstation.I basically have and old
desktop that I am rebuilding. I am a commodities trader and I am having commodities specific software being made also.I will be working on Three to Four screens and was wondering?Can I use a single socket motherboard or do I need two for two cpu's? Can I use just the AMD 1100T or do I need to use and AMD Operton and if so which one. (I favor AMD more then Intel that's why I only list their processor's).Thanks

Oh and which motherboard's and software(like Linux or Microsoft) do you suggest?Thanks!!!

More about : workstation building

July 1, 2011 9:28:57 PM

I would say that a 1090t is ok, as the 1100T is only .1ghz better, and i'm sure you could oc it by .1ghz. after that, a motherboard that supports crossfirex is required if you want to use four monitors (eyfinity) as there is only 1 amd GPU that supports 4 monitors on its own (other than special editions) the 6990, which is probably out of your price range if you arn't doing any gaming. I'd crossfire 2 5770's or similar, and I'd go for windows as an OS to avoid conflicts with programs, and is much more user freindly.
July 1, 2011 9:55:00 PM

carbonstyle72 said:
I would say that a 1090t is ok, as the 1100T is only .1ghz better, and i'm sure you could oc it by .1ghz. after that, a motherboard that supports crossfirex is required if you want to use four monitors (eyfinity) as there is only 1 amd GPU that supports 4 monitors on its own (other than special editions) the 6990, which is probably out of your price range if you arn't doing any gaming. I'd crossfire 2 5770's or similar, and I'd go for windows as an OS to avoid conflicts with programs, and is much more user freindly.

Crossfiring two eyefinity cards DOES NOT enable you to use four monitors, you still can only connect three monitors to one of the cards. It's easier to just make do with three. Some work station cards might be able to support four but I don't know much about them.
for CPU, are you looking for a simple workstation or a server? if server, opteron would be the CPU of choice. There's no need for two cpus.
Related resources
July 2, 2011 12:35:45 PM

carbonstyle72 said:

Hey thanks for the reply!!I am only using it for work No gaming!! (not a big gamer may buy and Xbox someday!!) so it will just be for work related task .Also I may keep it on 24/7 .Wil the cpu and motherboard hold up? Thanks!!
July 2, 2011 12:41:20 PM

szbxa said:
Crossfiring two eyefinity cards DOES NOT enable you to use four monitors, you still can only connect three monitors to one of the cards. It's easier to just make do with three. Some work station cards might be able to support four but I don't know much about them.
for CPU, are you looking for a simple workstation or a server? if server, opteron would be the CPU of choice. There's no need for two cpus.

Hi szbxa.Thanks for your post.I am only using it for work and I would like a really good workstation to use.I have done allot of research on the difference between server and workstation chips and there is not that much(I don't think). With what I explained in my first post what do you think would be best?

Thanks!!
!