Sign in with
Your question

Resale Price

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2011 7:52:17 PM

Hello People !! I just had an epiphany. Realizing that I've spent too much money on my rig at a crucial time in my life, when I should have concentrated my income and time on school/education oriented purposes. I'm not saying that I'm down and out, but just that things would have been a lot easier if I had some extra money in my pocket. :pfff: 

So with that said...

I am a bit embarassed saying this but, I JUST, no more then two weeks ago, upgraded my core i7 920 rig. Bought two Gainward GXT 570's Golden Sample, new case to fit them, CM Cosmos S, and four new Akasa Apache 120mm fans. All of this was then put together with existing parts from my old Antec p182 case.

Parts:
Asus P6T Deluxe (one of the pins on the IDE input is broken, no problem though. No one uses IDE anymore and the mobo has 6 SATAs anyways..)
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.7Ghz
Corsair H50
Corsair 3x2 6gb DDR3, 1600mhz
2x - VelociRaptor 300gb 10kRPM HDDs
LG Blu-Ray player/CD-DVD Rom
Corsair HX1000W PSU

-----Newly Upgraded-----

2x - GTX 570 Gainward GS
CM Cosmos S case
4x Akasa Apache 120mm fans

Note:
CPU is OC, not to some extreme feat, but still greatly improved.
Both GPUs are running at 830mhz, not that it took that much work..(worth mentioning?)
HDDs are set in RAID 0
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed, bought OEM version with the old parts two years ago
All recites, original packaging and extras that came with are pretty much still around
Do these qualaties effect the resale price at all?

Never been in a resale situation, so no experience. So I got some questions:
Should I instead reset the OCs to their factory defaults?
How should I prepare the machine for resale?
Any other information I should include, beside the above?
How would I go about it?
Not sure where to start to be honest. I'm not even sure people are in need of such a high-end rig, and I don't think that two year old parts are the easiest to resell. Been considering selling one of the 570s seperately so the eventual buyer wouldn't be getting a major overkill machine.

But still the PC is insane, and will eat anything you throw at it. Never had any problems running games at MAX and Graphics add-ons.

Ow, yes.
The rig is hooked up to a Logitech z-2300 (Great sound), and a Samsung 1920x1200, 24"(crystal clear) - both these were bought together with the old parts back in late 2008.

All parts are fine, except the IDE pin. :p 

More about : resale price

March 30, 2011 8:09:34 PM

ofc I forgot to to say that I want to know the estimated price of this as a whole.
March 31, 2011 8:50:56 PM

Any suggestion at all?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2011 9:18:04 PM

I am not into the "used parts" market, so you can take my feedback for whatever you think it's worth (which might be nil)

As far as the rig goes, I think you're in a somewhat difficult position because it's "too much" for your average user, and an enthusiast is going to look at it in terms of what it offers vs what can be built new. By that I mean is it a better value-per-dollar to build a new machine (even if the total cost is higher) vs buy your machine. With SandyBridge out I'm afraid the value of your machine as a whole has been kicked in the crotch.

There are two ways to approach it: sell the parts, or sell it as a whole unit.

I think SandyBridge is going to destroy its value as a whole unit unless you can prove your OC'd 920 will benchmark compellingly better than a 2500/2600. Even then you will grapple with the usual concerns people have buying used: has it been cared for properly, what wear and tear level is there, its' used, so forth. Right now a very nice SB CPU + Board is going to be about $450. That's going to put a lot of downward pressure on your price point since your 920s ability to compete is limited. As a whole unit you're going to probably sell it to someone who can't afford a full out SB rig and is willing to compromise. You're now into the realm of proving actual value and percieved value.

The other option (which I think may be the way to go) is to sell the parts. Again, you've chosen good parts, so they're of interest to people who know what they're looking at. You can probably get rid of the new parts very quickly for not much less then you paid for them (NOBODY will pay original retail price), and the rest of the parts you'll probably take more of a bath on, but I imagine you can probably get more for them as individual bits than a whole unit.
March 31, 2011 10:06:40 PM

wombat_tg said:
I am not into the "used parts" market, so you can take my feedback for whatever you think it's worth (which might be nil)

The other option (which I think may be the way to go) is to sell the parts. Again, you've chosen good parts, so they're of interest to people who know what they're looking at. You can probably get rid of the new parts very quickly for not much less then you paid for them (NOBODY will pay original retail price), and the rest of the parts you'll probably take more of a bath on, but I imagine you can probably get more for them as individual bits than a whole unit.

Yupp, thats what I was scared of, selling the mobo,cpu and possibly the memory would be difficult.
However I think I would get a pretty nice for the GPUs, HDDs, PSU, and Blu-Ray player, dunno bout the fans or the case..case is fairly new bout 2 weeks old..gues Ill just have to keep the rest..
!