Sign in with
Your question

Strange blue screens

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2011 8:24:47 PM

Hello tom's hardware community!

I've been encountering some strange bugs recently. My Pc gives various blue screens (not straight forward pattern the error messages vary).

However the weird thing is that if I switch off the power (PSU switch off) and then switch it back on I never get any blue screens untill I shut it down again and dont boot over ~ 8-10 hours or more.

Anyone know what might be causing this? any Help is appriciated.

I run windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

Hardware wise im running
Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz / Corsair 4GB DDR3-1333 XMS3 (more specifically TW3X4G1333C9A) / XFX Ati Radeon 5770 this is all powered by a 550 Watt OCZ PSU (think a ModXStream series)

Any suggestion? I built it myself so I cant just take it back (for free). If nothing helps ill have to take it back and pay for people to look at it but thought i'd give this a try.

Thanks in Advance.

More about : strange blue screens

a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 9:07:16 PM

First of all, can you verify that you have configured your RAM settings to the values specified on the stickers on your RAM?

If the above is configured right, check the voltages on your PSU. Click on the link in my signature for PSU testing methods.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 9:22:45 PM

I typically tell people with random BSODs to run MemTest for a while to make sure something with your RAM isn't causing your problems.

I'm running a PhII x4 965 on an OCZ 600w with a 5770 (I think the 550w model is the Fatal1ty... it has a red LED fan - the ModXStream models are 500, 600, and 700), and I can confidently say that it's supplying more than enough power to everything. Heck, I've got 12GB of RAM in there ontop of a fair overclock and it's still only using half to two thirds of what that PSU is capable of putting out. Unless it went bad, I doubt your PSU is your problem.

Like I said, MemTest is the first thing I'd try. If it comes out clean, try downloading HDDTune and run its error scan. People may say that a dying HDD won't normally cause BSODs, but when I try to use a disk with a good deal of bad sectors, my system just cripples and dies when it runs into them... it's like a brick wall.

Actually, read this first... I forgot to mention this, but did you update any drivers or install anything that modifies your system files? That's probably been my number one cause of BSODs. If you can conveniently do it, I'd recommend reloading Windows (maybe just onto a spare HDD if you have one) to see if it still keeps happening. If so, then something with the hardware must need fixed.
Related resources
March 30, 2011 9:38:27 PM

Thanks for the tips thus far i'll give them a go tommorow.

I can however say that I ran memtest for 8 hours and no errors occured.
Mobo is Asrock P55 Deluxe

(forgot to mention these things in the original post and couldnt edit)

I'll try all the rest of the suggestions and report back when done!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 10:44:01 PM

Blue screens are normally caused by either faulty memory of buggy drivers. If you have run a memory test program such as memtest86 overnight then your problem is probably drivers. An example of a driver that I know of that causes a blue screen when you turn off the computer is the Intel 635 modem driver which can be fixed by updating the driver from Microsoft update service. Try updating all of your drivers.
Try running in safe mode, do you still get the blue screen? If not try disabling one driver at a time until you find the one that does not cause the problem
April 9, 2011 10:01:02 AM

Hiya ,
after extensive testing I found out it was the HDMI audio driver belonging to the Catalyst Center (ATI HD series).
I had to reinstall the drivers and unclick the HDMI Driver from ATI as Windows loads his own and apparntly that causes issues.

Thanks for the help guys!
!