Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can dvd players play mpeg2 movies?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2011 1:48:40 PM

Is it possible to view MPEG2 video recordings on standard DVD players? Or do DVD players only playback DVD type formats?

Curious Jim
January 26, 2011 1:56:31 PM

Depends on the DVD player ! For example this t COBY $33 unit can play DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and JPEG Formats --- so some players can while others will not.
Score
February 1, 2011 12:29:55 AM

DVD is MPEG2 format. It should. If you are to save or burn MPEG2 formatted videos to DVD there are tools like ROXIO that convert MPEG2 recorded videos to codecs playable in generic DVD players. There are other tools that you can download free from the internet. There are also tools that you can purchase
Score
February 7, 2011 3:17:11 PM

leon2006 said:
DVD is MPEG2 format. It should. If you are to save or burn MPEG2 formatted videos to DVD there are tools like ROXIO that convert MPEG2 recorded videos to codecs playable in generic DVD players. There are other tools that you can download free from the internet. There are also tools that you can purchase

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
leon2006,
Thanks for the response. I have ROXIO and for some reason do not get the best resolution using
Roxio to convert my MPEG2 video to DVD. I was hoping to copy my MPEG2 video directly to the DVD
and play it. You gave some info to think about. A question come to mind. Is there any special way
to copy the MPEG2 video to DVD. How does the blank DVD have to be prepared (ie. formatted)?

Regards,
Curious Jim
Score
!