Sign in with
Your question

Need help to decide between 5 similarly priced GPU's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2011 2:25:04 PM

Hey there.

I'm in a high fever today, since I'm trying to find the best solutions for my somewhat limited gaming gig, and I have sorted out most of the components, sept for the Graphics Card, where I have a few options in the same price range, and I haven't found an updated benchmark yet. So here it goes:

Gainward nVidia GeForce GTX 460, 2048MB, DDR5, DVI, HDMI, PCI-E

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870, 1GB, DDR5, 256bit, DVI, HDMI, PCI-E

Sparkle nVidia GeForce GTX470, 1280MB, DDR5, 320bit, Mini HDMI, PCI-E

MSI ATI Radeon HD 5850, 1024MB, DDR5, 256bit, PCI-E

Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB DDR5 256-bit

These are the main contenders for my gaming PC, the price differences between there are unimportant, the cheapest (being the MSI 5850) being about $30 cheaper than the most expensive model. I know what the Geforce 5 series is fresh out the market, 560 being the entry-level model. I'm not sure it will outperform some of the older, mid or high-end models. As for the GTX 470, I'm a bit worried that Sparkle has launched it with quite low memory and GPU frequency.

So, and insight on this would be highly appreciated. If more information is required about the Graphics Cards in question, I'll gladly provide :) 

Thanks in advance,
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 2:29:25 PM

First of all, rule out the 470 completely.

From what I can tell, the 560 will equal the 5850 if not beat it. The 6870 cannot stand up to the 560 but it is cheaper and will give good performance. The 5850 on it's own merit is a very good card, especially if you intend to crossfire but it is a generation old now, however still very potent.

The 460 (also based off its own merit) is very good too, i have one and it's amazing. However the 560 is out now, just as overclockable as it's predecessor and competitively priced.

Personally, I'd go for the 560, however other posters may have other arguments to give. Remember that you can overclock the 560 to meet performance levels of the 570 which isn't too bad.
January 26, 2011 2:33:32 PM

I like what I've read about the 560. In your situation, I would go for the 560.

IMO it is best value, and it's also the newest of the bunch.
Related resources
January 26, 2011 2:33:41 PM

I admit I am planning to OC my i3-540 CPU on this PC, however, I would prefer not touching the Graphics Card, in terms of OC. The 460 was my first choice about 1 month ago, when I've read really positive reviews about Gainward's Golden Sample 2GB edition, which comes pretty well OC'ed from their factories.

Thanks so much for your input Griff and Will, waiting for more opinions though, I'm not planning on buying any other hardware for the next few years, so I need to make an informed decision now :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 2:38:42 PM

Using a program like MSI Afterburner that has a built in stressing tool, you can overclock the card, set a more aggressive fan profile and then stress the card for stability. I used to not want to touch GPU overclocking but now i think it's really good for eking out more performance which translates to better value for money.

May i suggest you get a quad core processor if you're planning on doing gaming, multiple reviews have said that even a well overclocked I3 dual core struggles in games compared to how quad cores handle.

Anyway, consider my 2 pence a vote for the 560. It's very overclockable and can be SLI'd in the future for longevity of the platform.
January 26, 2011 2:44:57 PM

I wish I would afford an i7 configuration, however, no matter how I've tweaked it, the price of this config goes up to 800$ or so, mainly due to prices in Romania (Eastern Europe) being considerably higher than US prices (20% or so higher). Going for an I7 configuration would mean doubling the costs of the CPU and mainboard, and that's something I really can't afford right now. As for SLI, I don't think I'm going to go for it in the future, I'm more of an RPG gamer and I don't get a boner if my AA is set to 8x instead of 4x. I'm simply aiming for all-round good performance, not breaking records in terms of high-end graphics.
January 26, 2011 2:48:06 PM

^ +1.

The 560 definitely since you are wanting to prolong any future upgrades.
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 2:49:53 PM

Syrocc said:
I wish I would afford an i7 configuration, however, no matter how I've tweaked it, the price of this config goes up to 800$ or so, mainly due to prices in Romania (Eastern Europe) being considerably higher than US prices (20% or so higher). Going for an I7 configuration would mean doubling the costs of the CPU and mainboard, and that's something I really can't afford right now. As for SLI, I don't think I'm going to go for it in the future, I'm more of an RPG gamer and I don't get a boner if my AA is set to 8x instead of 4x. I'm simply aiming for all-round good performance, not breaking records in terms of high-end graphics.

In light of that, the I3 should be fine then if you're just doing RPG's etc.

You've also just strengthened my argument for the 560, as it could be considered as one of the best cards in the 'nothing too special' category.
January 26, 2011 2:54:37 PM

Thanks for the great input guys, really appreciate it.

About the 560. As it's new on the market, Romanian importers have limited options regarding the manufacturer. The one I've seen to fit my budget is made by Pallit Daytona, which I'm a bit worried about, the other option would be made by Asus, but it's nearly 100$ more expensive.

Do you think it's a problem that the 560 is made by Pallit?
January 26, 2011 2:56:20 PM

Syrocc said:

Well, what are some of the games you play?

You might be better off getting a less expensive graphics card and getting a better processor, depending on the games of course.

I just sent a 5770 to a friend in Lithuania he said it was going to be 200$ if he had to buy it there, so I know a little about the price differences.

Ok, so the prices are about 20% more in Romania than in the US. What is your budget maximum and what parts do you already have?
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 2:57:44 PM

My GTX 460 is made by Palit and it's really good (over clocked too). I recommend them. Palit (though the name may not ring many bells) have been around in the graphics scene longer than you think. They are the parent company of Gainward (very well known).

Just make sure you fully understand the warranty information about the cards etc. The Asus, while inevitably of better build quality (it is Asus after all) cannot justify an extra $100.
January 26, 2011 3:03:31 PM

I personally have not had any bad experience with Palit (I've never used them), the only one I can personally say to avoid is powercolor.

I had thought that I had heard that Palit should be avoided and said as much in a thread a couple weeks back, but several people who know more than I do told me that I was wrong and said that Palit was ok to use! :D 
January 26, 2011 3:04:24 PM

@ Will, I'll make a summary of my configuration so far and post it in a few minutes.

@ Griff - I know that Palit has been around for a long time, some of the oldest cards I've owned were made by them (think my old Vodoo Banshee or Riva TNT 2, can't remember exactly), I've just heard that they lost a lot in quality since. But thanks for the info.
January 26, 2011 3:26:17 PM

CPU:
Procesor Intel® CoreTM i3 540 3.06GHz, socket 1156
MB:
Gigabyte P55-UD3L, socket 1156
HDD:
HDD Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA2 x2 in RAID 0
Memory:
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3/1600MHz CL 9 Non-ECC HyperX, 9-9-9-27 latency
or
Corsair 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 latency, 1 Dimm -
GPU:
Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB DDR5 256-bit
PSU
Fortron Saga II, 500W, PFC Active
Case
RAIDMAX Cyclone 316B

This is the config I had in mind. With the RAM, I'm undecided, I'm not sure if I buy a single 4gb dimm, and later grab another one that's identical, that I can use them in dual channel or not.
January 26, 2011 3:38:19 PM

How much does a core i5 760 cost in Rom?

What is your total budget?

Also: Are you completely against going with AMD?
January 26, 2011 3:48:07 PM

My total budget would be around 800$, maybe 900$.

Cheapest 1156 based I5 would be:
Intel® CoreTM i5 650 3.20GHz, socket 1156, going for 260$ish

Cheapest 1155 based I5 would be:
Intel® CoreTM i5-2300 SandyBridge, 2800MHz, 6MB, socket 1155, Box, around the same price of 260-270$

I5 760 is priced at 280$ aprox.

No, I'm not completely against AMD, but haven't owned one since my old 1.4Ghz Thunderbird, which was also the last time I've dealt with overclocking. Ever since then, I've seen Duron's and Athlon's and all that stuff and gradually lost my faith in AMD.
January 26, 2011 3:59:07 PM

Okey doke give me a little bit and let me see what I can whip up here. So, I need to take cost here in the US and add 20% to roughly figure what you would have to pay, correct?
January 26, 2011 4:08:11 PM

Pretty much so, yea. I've thought about ordering the parts from the US, but with the shipping costs, it wouldn't give me a much cheaper price in the end, plus I would have difficulties in case I need to use warranty.
January 26, 2011 5:47:45 PM

Ok, after extensive reading of reviews, decided to stick to the Palit Daytona GTX 560, heard only words of praise for it. So, thanks everyone for the great advice :) 
January 26, 2011 9:12:49 PM

good choice! have fun
January 26, 2011 9:16:40 PM

Thanks Will. Sent you a PM about the overall config too, if you have time to check it out, I'd appreciate it :) 
a c 176 U Graphics card
January 27, 2011 5:33:26 AM

I agree you shouldn't consider the GTX470. Now that the GTX560 is out there is no reason to buy it.

There are only a few cards I would consider. The 5850, 6870, and GTX560. The GTX560 is the fastest of the three. The 6870 isn't that much slower however. If the 5850 is only $30 cheaper out of all of them you might as well get the GTX560. I'd pick the one that fits your budget the best out of those three.
!