Is my power supply good enough to handle a 6850 Toxic?

Hi all,

Thought I would join these forums as it looks like a great community and i'd like to get involved.

Here is my system as it stands;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83Ghz
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Geeforce 9800GT 512MB
HDD: 2x250gb

Obiously my graphics card is the weak point, and i'd like to upgrade to a 6850.

My question is, can I run it from a Thermaltake TR2-500 PSU? I dont have the money to buy a new PSU too.

Here is the exact card i'm looking at, it's an overclocked version of the 6850.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/atiradeongraphicscards/atihd6800series/sapphire/11180-03-40r.html

Here is a screenshot of my PSU

" class="img lazy">

Am I able to run this GPU on my PSU?

Thanks
57 answers Last reply
More about power supply good handle 6850 toxic
  1. Sorry guys, I didnt put the link the the graphics card in properly and it wont allow me to edit my message, so copy and paste this link and it will show you the card

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/atiradeongraphicscards/atihd6800series/sapphire/11180-03-40r.html
  2. Anyone?
  3. You should be alright with your power supply. It has a combined 420W, or 35A, available on the +12V. The toxic HD6850 has a max load draw of 135W, which means its capable of pulling ~12A.
  4. Thanks, Do I need to use both power pin ports on the card or is 1 ok?

I'm a novice when it comes to hardware, from what I can tell my PC only has one power adapter to plug into a graphics card..
  5. You must use both power pin ports or the computer will not boot.

According to the TR2-500W specs, it should have a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin. Are you sure you only have one power adapter?
  6. rwpritchett said:
    You must use both power pin ports or the computer will not boot.

According to the TR2-500W specs, it should have a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin. Are you sure you only have one power adapter?

I have had a good look, it's a pre built pc from novatech and it has a bunch of leads coming from the PSU but I can only find ONE 6 pin connector.

There are a load of larger 4 pin connectors (like the ones that go into the dvd rom drive), some flatter longer ones and one that looks like a telephone socket size but no other 6 pin PCI-E's....

Thoughts?
  7. Hmm.... Thermaltake's website clearly shows two. If you only have one, then your PSU must be different than the TR2-500 on their website and I don't know what kind of output it is capable of.

What does the +12V ratings say on the PSU label? Most importantly, how many watts are dedicated to the +12V rails?
  8. rwpritchett said:
    Hmm.... Thermaltake's website clearly shows two. If you only have one, then your PSU must be different than the TR2-500 on their website and I don't know what kind of output it is capable of.

What does the +12V ratings say on the PSU label? Most importantly, how many watts are dedicated to the +12V rails?

It's deffo the TR2-500 ATX 12V 2.0

Can you not see the screenshot I took above? It has all the label info on there..

DC output +12v 14A, +12v2 15A?
  9. I'm at work... they block picture hosting sites so I can't see pictures. :(

Might have to wait until I get home.
  10. Ok here is all the info i can see

AC input: 115v/10A
    230v/5A
    +3.3V & +5V Combined 140w
    --------------------------------------
    DC output

+3.3v - 30A
    +5v -28A
    +12V -14A
    +12V #2 -15A
    -12V - 0.3A
    +5VSB - 2A
  11. All the wires are in a bunch (loads of them) fastend with plastic clips, i can see all the ends though and there are no other 6 pin PCI-E's.

Are there any good cards that only use 1 PCI-E as I cant find the other?
  12. Does it say anywhere what the combined +12V wattage is? Unfortunately, you can't just add the amperage of the two rails together to get the combined result.

I'm beginning to change my mind about your PSU being OK for an overclocked HD6850 based on your numbers. The TR2-500 specs I was looking at had beefier amps:

+12V1 = 18A
    +12V2 = 25A
    +12V combined = 420W
  13. Ok, not a problem - what is the best card I can get for a single PCI-E adapter based on my PSU power?
  14. I could save for a better PSU but I have no PC building knowledge at all, and there are so many leads coing from the existing one I wouldn't know where to start..

People say it's easy, but it isn't to someone who has only put in ram and graphics cards before..
  15. BTW i found this thread on a simular issue with the same power supply and the 5850, looks like there is an adapter to turn 1 6 pin into 2?! I'd like to know your thoughts on this please

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/289839-10-thermaltake-500w-sapphire-5850
  16. Turns out a friend from work is selling his 850w PSU for cheap and is willing to help install it so i'll upgrade to that then not worry about what PSU I have :-)
  17. What model 850
  18. I'm at work atm but he said it's An Easy Cool EZY Cool 850w - not many models of those I imagine? Should be good, he said there are 2 slots on it...?
  19. Are Ezy Cool a good make?
  20. the HD6850 uses only 1 6-pin PSU normally. I'd liek a littel more beef in that PSU.

Newegg has the OCZ 550W Fatal1ty on sale for $40 right now
  21. ScrewySqrl said:
    the HD6850 uses only 1 6-pin PSU normally. I'd liek a littel more beef in that PSU.

Newegg has the OCZ 550W Fatal1ty on sale for $40 right now

I'm getting the Ezy Cool 850w PSU from my friend at work for £30, and have seen a 5870 for £140

The Ezy 850 will run that fine I assume?
  22. Ezy Cool is not a brand I would trust, if only because I've never heard of them before. So I would advise you to keep your money, unless you can sell it pretty quickly for a profit. 6850s do normally only require one 6pin connector, but I haven't looked in detail at the Sapphire 6850 Toxic.

I'd say the best card that only needs one 6pin connector (apart from a normal 6850) would be a 5770.
  23. Turns out its not an Ezy cool, I got my wires crossed.

It is infact a OCZ PSU

This one to be precise

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124736

This is a good PSU right?
  24. It seems your combined wattage on your PSU is only 140w from the photo you have. I would really suggest getting a new one if you plan to use a 6850. I have the regular sapphire 6850 and it only uses 1 6 pin connector. I overclocked it to 6870 speeds easily without any problems using sapphire trixx tool. It could go even higher but I'm happy with its performance for now!
  25. empathic said:
    Turns out its not an Ezy cool, I got my wires crossed.

It is infact a OCZ PSU

This one to be precise

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124736

This is a good PSU right?

Nothing wrong with a GameXStream, especially for £30.
  26. Looks like you've had lots of good advice in my absence. :) The 850W OCZ GameXStream from your friend is a good deal @ £30. Have fun with your upgrade!
  27. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I've sold my PS3 and now have more finances available, so i'm going to stretch my budget to £220 for a card.

With the 850w OCZ, will I be able to run this 6950 2gb? http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/atiradeongraphicscards/atihd6900series/xfx/hd-695a-cnfc.html

Or would you suggest another card in this price range?
  28. Also, i'm a little worried about that card being too long for my case, I have a huge thermaltake case however the hard drive bay casing is 4 slots which only gives 9.5 inches from the back of the case length..
  29. Oh it's 11 inches long lol, wont fit.

What is the best £200 card I can get for £220 ish?
  30. The 1GB version of the 6950 is shorter (10.2 inches), but still too long for your case. Did you measure the 9.5" or are you guessing?
  31. The next best card that is under 9.5" is the GeForce 560 Ti (review). Here is the reference 560Ti vs. HD6950:

32. under 9.5 would be 6850 or gtx 560
  33. which one of these should I go for? A lot of 560 Ti's to choose from

-I need to make sure its under 9.5 inches
    -It needs to work with the OCZ 850W psu

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx560tifermiseries/

Thanks
  34. Sorry for all the questions, will the 560ti bottleneck my system? I just read this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/309648-15-handle-evga-gigabyte-n560so

he has the same motherboard as me, the Asus P5N-D, but I have the Q9550 4x 2.83 ghz... what is 'bottlenecking' and will my system do that?
  35. "Bottlenecking" is when you have mis-matched parts where a slower part is holding back your faster parts in performance. It is a dynamic term that depends on a number of factors. What monitor resolution are you planning to run? It will also depend on the games you play, what effects are enabled, anti-aliasing, etc, etc...

A Q9550 + 560 Ti combination will be a nice balance at most resolutions. I wouldn't worry about bottlenecking with your current CPU. You will see a great increase in performance from your 9800GT.
  36. Thanks once again rwp, I appreciate it.

I'm pulling my hair out again.

My case is designed so the HDD cage only allows for upto 9.5 inches for the length of the card, so i'm limited in what I can go for.

There are many manifacturers of the same card, and i'm struggling to find the best card within the size.

I've finally found a site that actually gives the dimensions of the cards after looking for the best part of 6 hours - Ebuyer.

So, with that in mind... what card under 9.5 inches long should I go for within a budget of £220 - the standard 560Ti that you linked is hard to find, many aftermarket models are bigger and wont fit.
  37. an XFX 6850 (174 pounds) is 9.25"
    a MSI 560 is 200.74 pounds w/ VAT and 9.37"
    Both should fit...but you might not be able to have a HDD directly opposite.
  38. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/254405

says in the spec tab 'Depth 22.9cm'

one of the only ones I can find that has the measurements and will fit

Good choice?
  39. ScrewySqrl said:
    an XFX 6850 (174 pounds) is 9.25"
    a MSI 560 is 200.74 pounds w/ VAT and 9.37"
    Both should fit...but you might not be able to have a HDD directly opposite.

What do you mean might not be able to have the HDD directly opposite?

It's in a fixed cage that I cannot remove without taking the HDD's out
  40. Screwy means that there might not be enough room for cables if you have a hard drive even with a large graphics card, even though the card "fits".

PNY makes reference sized 560 Ti cards @ 8.25" (Link)
  41. rwpritchett said:
    Screwy means that there might not be enough room for cables if you have a hard drive even with a large graphics card, even though the card "fits".

PNY makes reference sized 560 Ti cards @ 8.25" (Link)

Thanks for the link, where does it say the size of the card? I want to be sure
  42. Being in the US, I've been doing my searching on newegg. They have 2 PNY 560 Ti cards (900MHz and 822MHz). Both of them are reference cooler cards and say 8.25". The eBuyer card says its a 822MHz card. I guess we need to confirm that the UK card is not any different. Googling now...
  43. "Large" is a relative term, too bad they don't actually give measurements.

I can't seem to find a European site that actually gives the dimensions. Even the product page on PNY-europe.com doesn't say. All of the pictures of the card show it with the Nvidia reference stock cooler.
  44. If you were me, would that be the one you would go for?

I really dont want to make the mistake of getting one that wont fit, as you can understand.

Trying to find out where the 6 pin connectors are located too..
  45. Can I remove the HDD cage and slot the 2 HDD's at the bottom of the case loose?
  46. How long is your 9800GT? Surely that card must be around 9in/230mm?

It looks like the single fan 560's (reference cooler) all have the 6-pin on the rear/backside, and the dual fan 560's have the 6-pin on the side. The larger cards might be easier to fit, strange as that sounds, since the 6-pin will add another inch or so to the length of the reference cards.
  47. I have 45 minutes until I need to go to bed before work in the morning

I need to order a card tonight to get it in time for the weekend, I work mon-fri so my only opportunity this coming week is to order one in the next 45 mins - 1 hour.

My current 9800GT is 8.25" long, and has a single 6 pin located at the back/rear of the card so i got around 9" to play with.

So, what card should I be ordering do you think?
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Power Supplies Systems Product