Visual audio mute indicator?

font_mark

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
In my workplace, we have several PC systems used as alarm systems. We use the audio output as an annunciator to indicate state changes.

Sometimes the audio output has been found muted. While there are times when it is legitimate to shut the sound off (during system maintenance) I suspect this muting is done by operators that are "just tired of that damn alarm always going off." Since the alarm software can only run full screen, I can't count on the mute indicator on the taskbar.

The solution I was thinking of is an indicator lamp that's lit when the sound is muted.

Does anyone know of an off the shelf product that does this? If not, how hard would it be to whip one up? I have no problem building hardware, probably a USB Arduino driving an LED. But the PC software side is a brick wall. My coding skills are embedded systems, not Win. In a perfect world I'd love to have a dongle that I can plug in and it reads the mute status.

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
You could serial connect an LED to the speakers but then again "Does it still send electricity when it is muted?" is a question I don't know the answer to. You also could connect two monitors to the video card if it supports it. Then you could have a monitor with the alarm system in full screen and another with the desktop on it.