Sign in with
Your question

Advice Req: Bought Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 - A Bad Idea?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 5, 2012 6:06:57 PM

Was going round and round in circles this weekend choosing an LGA 2011 motherboard and ended up ordering a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (after cancelling the GA Assassin). I've never had any trouble with Gigabyte in the past but my last ASUS board made me wary with dealing with them again due to dodgy RAM slots and awful customer service response.

I then read that the UD5 has issues with an unusually high power draw, possibly burning out hardware and limiting overclocking.

Should I return the board and maybe go for an Asus P9X79 Deluxe, or is the UD5 a good purchase?

Other hardware on order:

Intel i7-3930K and G.Skill Ripjaws Z 4x4Gb, H100 Cooler.
a c 717 V Motherboard
March 5, 2012 10:24:43 PM

Show me a flawless MOBO and I know I'm in heaven (10 bad) - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r...

X79 = Russian Roulette any of them.

My only concern about any other than ASUS and X79 is CPU OC'ing problems, and if you have a C1 then there's a chance you'll have problems OC with vCore and temperature problems. I know both the GA-X79-UD7 and GA-X79-UD5 were pulled-off the shelves because their failure rate was so high.

Frankly, there have been enough issues with ANY X79 that it's impossible to say -- here's the perfect X79 go buy it. It's more a thing of -- this one seems to fail less than 'this one.'

The "this one seems to fail less" is the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. Being honest, I just had to RMA my Sabertooth X79 which decided to take a dump in a matter of days; progressively worst 'random shutdowns', but when it worked it worked great. Super stable 4.8GHz @ 1.4v with all power savings Enabled. During X58's hay day you couldn't give me a free X58 Gigabyte /edit except the UD9 ;)  /, and now the only X79's I had any long-term luck with are the R4E.
m
l
March 8, 2012 7:10:58 PM

Sending it back today, the heat issues I'm reading about I really don't like - not to mention the memory issues.

Thanks for the advice ordered a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme.
m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 7:26:11 PM

Enjoy! Very nice MOBO! ;) 
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:08:52 AM

Ack, Newegg sent me a used board - returning for a refund :cry: 
m
l