My old computer passed away, so its time for a new one!

johnjrambo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Okey guys, Im new here but look forward to have some fun and stay here.
The thing is, my old pc passed away and its time for a new one. I would appreciate of you guys could help me out with oppinions and advices on the new system! take your time to read it out, I wont make it long since I dont buy computers every day so I'll try to make the best investment possible

my old pc:
Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, never OC'd
ATI 3870 radeon hd 512mb
4gb ram
420psu

its an dell xps if u want the brand name

the system Im getting built:

cabinet: Cooler Master HAF 922 Midi Tower = 5 fans!

PSU: Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin PCIe, 6× SATA, 120mm fan

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core, 3,4Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W, Boxed

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54, Socket-AM3 ATX, AMD870+SB850, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, Military Class

RAM: Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9 Kit w/two matched ValueRAM 2GB DDR3

Video card:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-HDMI, DisplayPort, 256bit

OR

ASUS GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0,"DirectCU", GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-HDMI, HDCP, 256bit

The story, please read carefully: I've done some research on the cpu and a lot of people say that you should invest in an extra fan for the CPU, I've come up with investing in a 5fan cabinet, what do you think of it, any good?

also what do you think about the two video cards? what should I get? Somewhere I read that the zotac version scored around 23000 points on 3d mark '06.. does anybody have experience with this card? I havent yet found any 3d mark scores of the Asus one. Any suggestions?

the last thing is that Im not too much into PSU brands and motherboards, can somebody give me a feedback on the ones that are picked? will this pc last long? and no I cant go with anything more expensive, this is maximum budget to me.

my video card on the old pc got fried so I thought its time for a new pc, so Im hoping THIS ONE will last longer than 2 years and 8 months. thats why I came up with all the fans to reduce heat etc

all comments are welcome and appreciated! let the commenting begin!

johnjrambo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
anyone? my biggest concern is the psu, do u think it will be a bottle neck? I tend to have a usb headset, X360 controll, steering wheel and 2 external hard drives plugged in most of the time.. will 500w be an issue?