Recording PC Build Help: i7 2600k or i5 2500k

delfin

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hey guys... This is my first post, so sorry if I put this in the wrong place or something.

I am looking to build a new PC mainly for recording purposes(I use an audio interface that I connect to the PC via firewire) and was wondering if the i7-2600K was significantly better than the i5-2500K for this build. I've read that the difference is pretty minimal for gaming, but what about recording and running midi software? I use alot of programs for effects and I also use a lot of midi sounds. I do play video games, but the games I play are either really old or free and don't require much power (ex. LoL), so my primary concern in picking out a processor is recording.

If there is a significant difference, do you think its worth the ~$100 increse in price?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Solution
On multi-threaded applications like some video and audio editing software the 4 extra threads can make a difference between these processors. You can see how they stack up here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288. As to if it is worth the extra $100 that is all up to you and your budget. If using the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K will save you 4 second for every minute that you are working on it and over the course of the week it might save you around 32 minutes and over a year it may save you 24 hours or more of work or productivity time or 3 days at work. For me that would make a difference in the long run.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

delfin

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

In your opinion, is it a big enough increase in performance to warrant an approx. $100 increase in price?

On multi-threaded applications like some video and audio editing software the 4 extra threads can make a difference between these processors. You can see how they stack up here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288. As to if it is worth the extra $100 that is all up to you and your budget. If using the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K will save you 4 second for every minute that you are working on it and over the course of the week it might save you around 32 minutes and over a year it may save you 24 hours or more of work or productivity time or 3 days at work. For me that would make a difference in the long run.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

delfin

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Wow. That's a pretty solid answer. Thanks so much!!! I think I'm going to go with the i7-2600k.

TRENDING THREADS