Solved

Recording PC Build Help: i7 2600k or i5 2500k

Hey guys... This is my first post, so sorry if I put this in the wrong place or something.

I am looking to build a new PC mainly for recording purposes(I use an audio interface that I connect to the PC via firewire) and was wondering if the i7-2600K was significantly better than the i5-2500K for this build. I've read that the difference is pretty minimal for gaming, but what about recording and running midi software? I use alot of programs for effects and I also use a lot of midi sounds. I do play video games, but the games I play are either really old or free and don't require much power (ex. LoL), so my primary concern in picking out a processor is recording.

If there is a significant difference, do you think its worth the ~$100 increse in price?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recording build help 2600k 2500k
  1. If you are running multi threaded or multiple applications at once you will gain from the I7!
  2. rolli59 said:
    If you are running multi threaded or multiple applications at once you will gain from the I7!

In your opinion, is it a big enough increase in performance to warrant an approx. $100 increase in price?
  3. Best answer
    On multi-threaded applications like some video and audio editing software the 4 extra threads can make a difference between these processors. You can see how they stack up here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288. As to if it is worth the extra $100 that is all up to you and your budget. If using the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K will save you 4 second for every minute that you are working on it and over the course of the week it might save you around 32 minutes and over a year it may save you 24 hours or more of work or productivity time or 3 days at work. For me that would make a difference in the long run.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  4. Best answer selected by delfin.
  5. IntelEnthusiast said:
    On multi-threaded applications like some video and audio editing software the 4 extra threads can make a difference between these processors. You can see how they stack up here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288. As to if it is worth the extra $100 that is all up to you and your budget. If using the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K will save you 4 second for every minute that you are working on it and over the course of the week it might save you around 32 minutes and over a year it may save you 24 hours or more of work or productivity time or 3 days at work. For me that would make a difference in the long run.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team

Wow. That's a pretty solid answer. Thanks so much!!! I think I'm going to go with the i7-2600k.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Build Intel i5 Product