Sign in with
Your question

Will my motherboard work with this case and psu?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 5, 2012 8:41:45 PM

I hope this helps you. I learned this from painful trial and error, mostly error. First you must understand that DELL's motherboards are proprietary. Meaning that they are NOT standardized in any way despite the fact that they are called ATX form factor. Regardless of which model the board is used for, There are no direct replacements, nor will the standard mid size ATX cases work, at least without ingenious modifications on your part.

Let me explain. The PSU is always unique in some way. For the gx400 board for example there are two board connectors, a 24 pin MOLEX(brand name) and a 16 pin molex. Most replacement PSUs do not use this connector. A 20 pin molex might be used but not the 16 pin. Another combo is 24 pin plus 1 4 pin, or 2 6 pins. The front panel power switch uses a 16 pin smaller connector. The IDE cables are standard, both 40 pin and the 34 pin for the FLOPPY drive.

All the a third party cases I have seen use 4 2 conductor connectors for the power switch, reset switch, panel leds. These connectors match those on the REPLACEMENT board NOT your DELL board. In addition the board has a unique mounting design, again not the same as the standard ATX board. What you are attempting is not practical. You are better off leaving things as they are as long as the system works.

I am currently making my own cases for my gx400 boards because I have no other choice. The drive cages I need I am removing from other dead computers and/or cases. And even then the cage has to be of a design I can work with. If you are good with tools and really want to do this, I suggest you buy a really cheap case that is a basic empty box inside. No shelves,supports, nothing in the way of the board. You will need to figure a way to 1 mount the board in the correct position, and 2 you will need to find a way to reuse and mount the existing power board behind the front bezel in order to be able to connect the switch to the board as usual. In a pinch you might be able to cut off the connector on the power switch on the case and solder these leads to the power board in parralell with the POWER switch on the switch board. You will not be able to use any of the leds or reset switch on the bezel. The power board will be insulated and simply hang inside the case.

Still want to do this? be prepared for lots of frustration and curse words. Good luck! You will need it!
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2012 9:35:30 PM

rtrg said:
I hope this helps you. I learned this from painful trial and error, mostly error. First you must understand that DELL's motherboards are proprietary. Meaning that they are NOT standardized in any way despite the fact that they are called ATX form factor. Regardless of which model the board is used for, There are no direct replacements, nor will the standard mid size ATX cases work, at least without ingenious modifications on your part.

Let me explain. The PSU is always unique in some way. For the gx400 board for example there are two board connectors, a 24 pin MOLEX(brand name) and a 16 pin molex. Most replacement PSUs do not use this connector. A 20 pin molex might be used but not the 16 pin. Another combo is 24 pin plus 1 4 pin, or 2 6 pins. The front panel power switch uses a 16 pin smaller connector. The IDE cables are standard, both 40 pin and the 34 pin for the FLOPPY drive.

All the a third party cases I have seen use 4 2 conductor connectors for the power switch, reset switch, panel leds. These connectors match those on the REPLACEMENT board NOT your DELL board. In addition the board has a unique mounting design, again not the same as the standard ATX board. What you are attempting is not practical. You are better off leaving things as they are as long as the system works.

I am currently making my own cases for my gx400 boards because I have no other choice. The drive cages I need I am removing from other dead computers and/or cases. And even then the cage has to be of a design I can work with. If you are good with tools and really want to do this, I suggest you buy a really cheap case that is a basic empty box inside. No shelves,supports, nothing in the way of the board. You will need to figure a way to 1 mount the board in the correct position, and 2 you will need to find a way to reuse and mount the existing power board behind the front bezel in order to be able to connect the switch to the board as usual. In a pinch you might be able to cut off the connector on the power switch on the case and solder these leads to the power board in parralell with the POWER switch on the switch board. You will not be able to use any of the leds or reset switch on the bezel. The power board will be insulated and simply hang inside the case.

Still want to do this? be prepared for lots of frustration and curse words. Good luck! You will need it!

Better idea;
Put the 12 year old, 1st gen Pentium 4 Dell system's in the garbage.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

m
l
!