Sign in with
Your question

Is it the PSU or something else?

Last response: in Components
July 2, 2011 2:16:09 AM

The other day, (after running perfectly for 2 years) my computer suddenly crashed, BSoD'd and restarted. It made a partial boot, crashed and restarted again, and never came back up. The fans all run, lights were on, but, no monitor signal, no beeps, and it sounded like it kept trying to reboot.

I bought a new power supply and replaced the old one and everything worked fine...for about 24 hours when the exact same problem happened again.

So I don't know if it is a PSU problem, a problem in my house wiring, or a problem with my hardware.

More about : psu

July 2, 2011 2:37:10 AM

Well, make sure that all your hardware is securely connected to the mainboard. You might have shaken something into place when you replaced the PSU...
Check the RAM... Also, look at the components, make sure nothing looks burned or smells like smoke/melted plastic, you might have burned out a component, and it keeps generating a electric fault.

Maybe the PSU is not adequate? post specs, maybe the computer is consuming more power then the PSU supports...
m
l
July 2, 2011 6:58:00 AM

Here's the specs:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

MSI N250GTS-2D1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My original 650W PSU worked great for two years, and no new hardware was added.

A friend tested it before I got a replacement, and the tester said it was undervolting.

I replaced it with a 900W PSU and as I said, it worked just fine for a day until the same problem happened. No burning smells, no funny sounds, no regular indicator of an imminent failure or overload.

For what it's worth: the NewEgg power calculator says I only need about 600W, so the output was more then sufficient.
m
l
!