Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New display & gfx card, Interlacing problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2011 8:46:04 PM

Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster.
I am usually pretty competent when it comes to computer systems, which is why this is so aggravating.

I just upgraded my systems Graphics Card to an HIS Radeon 6850, and upgraded my monitor to a 22" 1080p, (BenQ's g2220HD)

The problem that i have is that the picture on my display seems to be having issues. Whenever i play a video, or game, or even drag windows folders around, everything becomes blurry kind of. I have spent over 10 hours looking into this before I decided to post in this forum. It looks like im having an interlacing problem, Like what is seen here . But i do not understand why it would be interlacing the signal, as i am running an Hdmi - Dvi cable from my GFX card to my monitor respectively, it should be sending progressive signal no?
Gfx card is set to default values.

Anyways, the steps i have taken so far, to no avail have been. 1)Changed resolution settings 2) updated display driver 3)reseated gfx card 4) switched monitor cables 5) Tried Catalyst 10.12, and 10.11

Next step i am about to do is disconnect my extra dvd burner and one of my case fans to see if its a power draw issue. And then after that i am going to try to connect my old monitor to see if the problem is occuring on it as well. I will post again when I'm done trying these. Only problem with connecting my old monitor is that its maximum resolution is 1440x900 and it does not have DVI in, which is the cable im using. so i may not have the issue on that monitor, but then whats the point in having 1080p graphics capabilities on a 1440x900 res?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

January 27, 2011 12:27:17 AM

ok so i set up my 19" samsung via VGA-DVI and the problem is gone. There is a video of someone with the exact same problem found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcjKY2vOtc
but still no sulution, or even anyone who can tell me that im right in thinking that it is an interlacing problem.

So... my next question is, Why am i not getting Artifacts on my 19" samsung, on resolution of 1440x900, connected via DVI-VGA that is 4 years old, like i do on my new 22" 1080p BenQ connected via Hdmi-DVI when any type of moving image, or video is being displayed?

I didnt post this earlier but, here are my comp specs.

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model P5K SE
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM @1033
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Disk partition (C:)  113 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Media drive (D:)  CD/DVD
Media drive (E:)  CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (HIS Radeon 6850)
Total available graphics memory 2815 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.801.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
Secondary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 10

PLease help, i just shelled out $400 on new hardware and i am just about ready to return it all.
m
l
January 27, 2011 3:53:29 AM

The video you showed gave me the impression that his monitor was running in 1080i mode rather than 1080p. In 1080i mode, every other horizontal line will get updated per refresh. If that is the problem you are having, you might want to make sure it's not in interleaving mode.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2011 4:24:26 AM

How do i tell if my monitor is displaying interlaced or progressive?
In my display properties in Catalyst, it is showing as 1080p. But how do i tell if my monitor is actually displaying it, or if it is deinterlacing it, or interlacing it?

i am so lost... and as an update to earlier, i did switch up the power connector on my gfx and the problem is still here. I am sitting here looking at better quality video on my 19" at 1440x900 than on my 22" at 1920x1080. Source video is a locally stored blue-ray rip played through VLC,
VIDEO FORMAT--------------- x264 MKV
VIDEO INFO----------------- 1920x1080 @ 8395 kbps
AUDIO INFO----------------- NL,EN AC3 6CH/640kbps & DTS 6CH/1509kbps
FILESIZE------------------- 12,6G

Im going to plug my 40" 1080p TV to see how it compares.
m
l

Best solution

January 27, 2011 4:31:44 AM

I honestly am not sure what is causing what you are having. It is an odd problem and likely why no one has been responding.
January 27, 2011 5:17:39 AM

bystander said:
I honestly am not sure what is causing what you are having. It is an odd problem and likely why no one has been responding.

I think im going to have to take my monitor back tomorrow, switch it out for something else. I have tried everything. I am sure it is an interlacing problem, because when i go into the CCC --->video--->basic quality and uncheck "use automatic deinterlacing" i can move the slider to the left and right, and i can see major differences in the sample video above it.
I am getting major interline twitter, or interlacing artifacts, and cannot capture it because it must be converting the progressive signal it gets from the HDMI-DVI cable, into interlaced somewhere inside the monitor. And there are no settings in the menu give any clue as to an on/off switch.
m
l
February 5, 2011 11:08:52 PM

Best answer selected by andymac87.
m
l
July 3, 2012 1:40:26 AM

Had the same (I think) problem. Running video from my notebook to a second HDTV/monitor. Signal looks great with a VGA cable. Lost that, so I pulled out an HDMI cable and it looked interlaced and terrible.

Went into Nvidia control panel and found an option called "Change the signal or HD format," chose 720p and it was fixed.

If you don't have a similar option in Catalyst, I dunno what to tell ya, but I would definitely guess that it's the signal being sent from the card, not the display itself. Hope this helps.
m
l
!