Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New OC Gamer needs advice for 2500k system

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2011 3:28:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I red a lot of threads, I am almost done on fixing my grocery list on my future optimal/budget wise Gaming Rig.
I am green with Overcloking but for this new rig I would like to experiment the dark side of that power.

For a budget under 2k $ I plan to go with this, please do not hesitate to upgrade my gaming output.

CPU : 2500K it seems 2600k won't bring me much more into my game.
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe but not sure if I have a case with USB 3.0 ports up front do I need Deluxe or EVO would do as good (seems like the same specs) ? I was thinking about the ASUS Maximum 4 Extreme but since I am a noob with OC I don't think I should spend that much on a Mobo.
RAM: g.skill ripjaws x series 8gb 1600`Mhz (latency 9) still wondering about latency 7 and the 60 $ more.
Video: That would be my greatest flaw, I am willing to spend 400 $ on this part but should I pay less and have one card for now ready for SLI or CF to later add another one for less ? I am thinking Asus ENGTX 560 Ti 1GB or the GTX 570 1280 or my other choice was the Asus EAH 6950 /2 GD5 but everyone keeps writing about EVGA cards that I cannot find at any retailers here, but only online. Is it worth the shipping instead of an ASUS card that I can get at the corner shop ? The ASUS EAH6970 / 2GD5 DCII is tempting too.
SSD : OCZ Vertex 3 130 Gb drive for OS
but what SATA 3 drive would be better to support gaming under that SSD drive ?
Case: Cooler Master HAF X, looks like one of the best air flow casing, I do not wish to put coolant tubing into my new rig... for now.
PSU: Cooler master silent pro 1000W but then again it is for a future SLI or CF, I am not sure this power supply will see it depending on my choice. Is there anything you would suggest that could suit my present need and would also fit for my future SLI configuration ?
How much Overcloking would affect my PSU needs ?

There it is, all my insecurities !
Thank you in advance for you help and support.

Alex

Best solution

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2011 4:06:35 AM

CL7 RAM is only worth the extra if you don't have to think about it :)  If $60 seems like a lot then it's not going to be worth it for you... gains are small.

Also, I doubt very much you need more than the p8p67 Pro. Not the -M version the full one. Hard to find right now though. Perhaps consider the Sabertooth.

The AMD GPUs are scaling better in crossfire, so if you want to go that route get a 6950 and add a second later?

For the PSU a good 850W is far more than you actually need. Corsair 850HX for instance.

Platter drives do not benefit from SATA 6GB/s, so it makes no difference. I prefer WD for reliability, but other drives are a bit faster.

April 1, 2011 2:04:07 AM

Proximon said:
CL7 RAM is only worth the extra if you don't have to think about it :)  If $60 seems like a lot then it's not going to be worth it for you... gains are small.

Also, I doubt very much you need more than the p8p67 Pro. Not the -M version the full one. Hard to find right now though. Perhaps consider the Sabertooth.

The AMD GPUs are scaling better in crossfire, so if you want to go that route get a 6950 and add a second later?

For the PSU a good 850W is far more than you actually need. Corsair 850HX for instance.

Platter drives do not benefit from SATA 6GB/s, so it makes no difference. I prefer WD for reliability, but other drives are a bit faster.

Thank you Proximon, it helped. Still not sure about Sabertooth tho... I am not convinced air flow is that much better on that board plus I won't get BT.
I still don't get why they are making SATA 3 platter drives if it cannot get even close to 6GB/s....

Once again thank you.

m
l
Related resources
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2011 6:29:17 AM

I think people all came to the same conclusion as I did on the P8P67 Pro. I got lucky and just happened to check Amazon at the right time one night. They had 20 or 30 I think:)  I haven't seen any more since, at least at the MSRP.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2011 1:53:18 PM

I echo the above comments on the CL7 ram, the SATA 6G on a mechanical HD, and the Corsair 850HX PSU. Definitely stay will quality PSU's (Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, Antec).

I will say that SLI and Xfire are not as stable as just one good card. Also not all games support/benefit from SLI/Xfire
I would lean toward a GTX 570 or HD 6970 and try to find one that had a 3rd party/upgraded cooler already installed so it stays cooler and runs quieter. (SAPPHIRE or PowerColor for the ATI cards and Gigabyte or Asus for nVidia cards)
I am biased toward nVidia cards because of the better driver support.

As for ordering on-line: Shipping is only like $8 from newegg.com to anywhere in the US on GPU's usually

LGA 1155 Motherboards:
you can do better on the MB price wise with an ASROCK or a MSI they are rated well and are $50 cheaper.
if you can fine a ASUS P8P67 Pro (not the -M) for under $190 get it.
if you go with a Sabertooth (it does look cool) you will need to get a top-down HSF like the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 to take advantage of the thermal jacket/heat venting thing.
m
l
April 11, 2011 2:42:59 AM

Best answer selected by alexandrelegrand.
m
l
!