What video card would be best.

Coinwaster

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Basically I've bought a few games on steam and am having MAJOR frame rate issues. I know very little about computers but I'm quite sure this is due to my lack of a video card. I'm running the on board motherboard video card ever since my video card took a ****. So I'm looking for a good video card that can run some decent games. Right now I can run simple games like Team Fortress and Half life with no issues. However games like Need for Speed Shift, Aliens VS Predator and Batman Arkham Asylum don't stand a chance. So I'd like something that can play games of that sort with no issues.

Here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz

Installed memory: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Power Supply: 1000 watts.

Name: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip Type ATI display adapter (0x9610)

DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)

Approx. Total Memory: 1916MB

Current Display Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

My budget is around $100 but I can go up to $150 if I HAVE to.

Okay, so you have 2gig memory and game at 14x9......... would be nice to know operating system, processor and power supply and the games you like to play but I'll go out on a limb and say a 5670. Will work with a low end power supply and should be good enough at that resolution.

Coinwaster

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Sorry man... I'm a computer nub. :pfff:

Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz

Installed memory: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

My power Supply is 1000 watts.

Thanks for the help guys :bounce:

As far as games I'd like to play....

Call of Duty Black Ops
Need for Speed Shift
Aliens VS Predator

ect.....

Nope -- the 5770 will run pretty much any game including Crysis at high to ultra high settings at 1440x900 settings -- it starts to need the settings on AA etc. set a bit lower once you get above 1920x1080 but even at that resolution it will run the games you listed so at 1440x900 you'll be in good shape --- plus anything stronger will be held back by the CPU you have anyway so it is a good fit for your system and the price on them is really good right now.

Embra

Distinguished

^ +1 --> Good advice. *nod nod*

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
It would be better to stick with the 5770 that JDFan quoted. It's a lot more card for a little to no more money(once the rebate hits). It's a great card for your pc and matches the specs well.

Coinwaster

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah I'll most likely go with the 5770. :pt1cable:

Not really what I'd call a deal when you are paying $7 shipping bringing the price to the same $99 you can get an Unopened 5770 for and not have to worry about the OPEN box policy on Newegg that allows them to send you a card by itself without any of the additional components (like Connectors, adapters, etc. and refuse to accept a return on it if something is missing or charge you a restocking fee. And then it is a Powercolor card which I would avoid in the first place !