Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My CPU overheated and I fixed it but now it keeps turning off randomly

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Fan
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 31, 2011 4:42:30 AM

My cpu heatsink/fan popped off the cpu a few weeks ago and my PC shut off after the cpu overheated. I continued to turn it on until it overheated and shut off about 10 times or so until i used Coretemp to check and see that it was overheating to 105 degrees. At this point i got some new thermal paste and got the temp down to about 40. Since then however, my pc shuts down after being on for 10-30 minutes and then doesnt turn on for about 10 minutes. I have removed each ram stick yet that did not solve the problem What do you think? CPU damage?

Core I3 3.06 ghz (not overclocked) w/ oem fan
Gigabyte h55n-usb3
Silverstone SG06BB-450 case/psu 450w 80+
G.skill ripjaws 4gb (2x2) ddr3 1600
2X 2tb WD20EARS

More about : cpu overheated fixed turning randomly

March 31, 2011 2:15:16 PM

HI

I think you might have fried the CPU for some what. Why did you let it operate for such a long time without the fan. The bios temp limit is supposed to be 85 or lower if you want to shut off.

Why did you go to such an extent and measure the temp with core temp knowing you have overheat?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2011 8:21:52 PM

rh3856 said:
My cpu heatsink/fan popped off the cpu a few weeks ago and my PC shut off after the cpu overheated. I continued to turn it on until it overheated and shut off about 10 times or so until i used Coretemp to check and see that it was overheating to 105 degrees. At this point i got some new thermal paste and got the temp down to about 40. Since then however, my pc shuts down after being on for 10-30 minutes and then doesnt turn on for about 10 minutes. I have removed each ram stick yet that did not solve the problem What do you think? CPU damage?

Core I3 3.06 ghz (not overclocked) w/ oem fan
Gigabyte h55n-usb3
Silverstone SG06BB-450 case/psu 450w 80+
G.skill ripjaws 4gb (2x2) ddr3 1600
2X 2tb WD20EARS


Very likely you still have an overheating issue. Very possible your CPU is damaged as well at this point.

Are you watching your CPU temps as you use the machine?

What thermal paste are you using, and are you sure it was applied correctly? Since you say the heatsink/fan popped off are you sure they're not damaged? Are they seated properly?
m
0
l
!