New i5 2500k build acting strangely.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Hey all, let me start off by saying I had an absolute blast building my first system. However, not all is happy over here. I completed my system on 3/27/2011 and it booted up the first time without problems. I installed ALL drivers for windows, bios, gpu, etc.. The computer ran like a champ. Well, I left it on overnight and woke up to find the power on LED flashing. I turned on my monitor (which is my tv) and it said "no signal." I hit the reset button and it booted up just fine.

Fast forward to today and the same thing happened. I left my computer for about 1 hour while virus scans were running. I came back and the power LED was blinking. Like last time, the computer was on, but there was no signal. I reset it, and it went into a strange cycling process. It kept resetting and powering off. After 5 cycles of this it finally caught. After it caught it powered off again and restarted itself and went into a successful boot. I know this because my PC speaker beeped once indicating a successful boot. It went to some screen where it states the brand and what devices are plugged in and at the bottom of the screen said, "Overclocking attempt failed!" Needless to say, this confused me bcause I have not attempted to overclock. The only thing I did was flash and overclock my radeon 6950 to a 6970. Before you say AHA!, please understand that this occurred before the flashing of my card took place as well. After the warning message it took me into the BIOS gui and I simply exited. I immediately went to post this topic just in case it does it again. I do believe it happens after a period of not being used.

Oh yeah, it did initiate a memory dump one time.

Please bear some good news!

Thanks,
Brian

Here's my system:
NZXT Phantom
Asus P8P67 (Just as it states, not the evo, pro, deluxe, etc..)
i5-2500k
Sapphire Radeon 6950 - flashed to 6970
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Windows 7 64bit

EDIT. Just remembered something that may have an affect on the system. I plugged my HDD and DVD drive into the 6GB/s SATA ports (the gray ones, not Marvell). They aren't rated as such. Anyway, that should be it.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Is your power management in windows set to sleep after X minutes? The power LED flashing says its in a suspend mode, and by hitting the reset button you power cycled a live system. Simply pressing a key on your keyboard, or pushing the power button would wake it up from sleep.

Perhaps you need to do a bios reset to defaults and make your initial configuration changes again in the bios.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah. I hit a key to wake it up. I'm not a complete noob;) Just a 3/4 noob. Anyway, the system sounded as though it was booting back up but I never got a picture, my tv said "no signal." It happened again this morning just as I figured it would. Except this morning it did something REALLY weird. After powering off and on again until it caught, it booted straight into windows without requiring the login password.

As far as your other suggestion, I'm not really familiar with what to change in the BIOS.

Thanks so far.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Always good to suggest the obvious - sorry if it was insulting.

When you go into the UEFI (guess we'd better start getting used to not calling it bios) look for something that says restore defaults (or something like that). Then go back into the bios and make sure all your drives are being shown. Always a good idea after a bios flash (at least from the old school). Maybe wait to see if anybody else has better suggestions.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not insulted at all. I'm just glad to get some replies with suggestions! I won't be home until later to try what you suggested, but at least I have something to go on. It still doesn't explain the strange cycling behavior, the weird oc'ing message, or the boot straight into windows without requiring a password.

Regardless, I am grateful for the help so far.

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
The sleep issue with Asus P67 boards is quite common. I had a P8P67-M Pro (pre-B3) and it would wake from sleep fine but I just installed my B3 Sabertooth P67 yesterday and it won't wake from sleep (the fans spin and lights come on but no video signal). After checking out several threads on the Asus boards I was forced to conclude that this is probably a bios issue that will need to be addressed with a new update.

Asus is aware of the problem and have suggested setting Internal PLL Voltage to "disabled". This did not work for me but it might for you. If not, then just disable sleep mode until a fix in the bios is available....

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Wow. Thanks!

This doesn't really shake my confidence in ASUS, but you can see how to a new system builder that this was very disconcerting and had me questioning my abilities. Thanks for the heads up!

travis442

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

That saved me from opening my own thread about this, I built my computer last week and it was set to go to sleep after an hour but couldn't ever seem to get it to wake up. Guess that answers my question for now and I just won't let it go to sleep for now.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
So I just got off the phone with asus c.s. and they simply said they had "taken notes" on the issue and would be issuing a BIOS update soon. And yes, their ONLY suggestion was disabling the internal pll as mentioned above.

menvert

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

I had the same issue on my P8P67-M Pro V3, Turning Off PLL over-voltage fixed it.
Though I also set frequency to 100 Mhz and can only OC to about 40x instead of an easy 46x with PLL over-voltage enabled. I hope they can fix it in a driver/bios update...

fr0stman

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Same here..when overclocked, whether manually or via ASUS own OC Tuner, the PC wont wakeup from Sleep..I have to reset the PC and then have it "resume"

I disabled PLL Overvolt...(still overclocked to 4.5Ghz tho) and it seemed to fix it,
not sure if it will have any impact on my OC