Troubleshooting custom build - Freezing problem

GoOBa85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hi all,

I am hoping you can offer some advice on how to identify the freezing issue with my home build. The issue is that I boot my Pc fine and after about 10-15 minutes everything becomes jumpy, the sound (if any) stutters and then freezes (this seems to happen faster when playing games/videos). This requires a restart (turn off, turn back on) before working fine.

To overcome this issue, I have been booting until the Windows login screen, then restarting. Since I have been doing this, I have had no freezing issues and my Pc runs ok (as it should).

Here are the spec of my Pc:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz, Socket 1366, Retail pack with fan
Asus P6T Motherboard, Socket 1366, 6xDIMM DDR3, 3xPCIe-16, 2xPCI, 1xPCIe-1, 12xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, 1xATA, 6xSATA, RAID, ATX
Gigabyte GV-N26OC-896I Video Card, GeForce GTX 260, 896MB, DDR3, PCIe-16, DVI, SLI ready, HDMI
Corsair XMS3 Dominator Tri-Channel TR3X6G1600C8D for Intel Core i7, 3x2GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800, CL8, DIMM
Corsair TX750, 750W ATX PSU, Active PFC, SLI Ready, Grey
Seagate SV35.3 ST31000340SV Hard Disk Drive, 1000GB, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, SATA-2
LG Electronics GH22NS30 DVD Writer, DVD 16R/20W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/32RW, Internal, SATA, Black, OEM

My Pc is running Windows 7 home edition, 64 bit with all updates installed ok.

I have tried a clean install of Windows 7 and have checked all cables extra.

Has anyone else had this issue? What are some things I can do to identify the issue?

While my Pc does work ok, it is frustrating I have to re-start before it runs ok.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Both of those seem a little high for idle temps. How warm is the room your system is in? Also, you may need to look at your airflow in the case to verify your front/side fans suck cool air into the case and your back/top fans exhaust (suck out) hot air from the case.

GoOBa85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have setup my pc in various rooms around the house. It is currently in the lounge which has good airflow and is a little on the cool side (right now, CPU: 39C & GPU: 47C). Will check the fans tonight.

GoOBa85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Front and side fans working ok. Installed Riva Tuner and increased fan speed on GPU (now running at 80%). Temps are down to 37-40C. Still performance still slows and pc needs a restart before working ok.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You mentioned the front and side fans earlier, do you still have the original 120mm rear fan installed as well? If so, is it working?

Last, have you installed SP1 for Win 7?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you start "normally" and the freezing occurs, how are you temps then?

What you are describing are typical symptoms of a heat or power issue, but the restart procedure you came up with to by-pass the issue is certainly a "head scratcher".

Since you did a clean install, it must be a hardware issue, because the problem came back. While your idle temps were a little high, they weren't terrible. After some adjustments and verification of air flow, you have some improvements. This is a good thing.

Are you using Nvidia provided drivers or are you letting Windows 7 find and install your video card drivers?

GoOBa85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Temps are around 55C when freezing occurs. I am using Nivida drivers.

Im not sure if it will work, however, I have changed GPU slots and reinstalled the Nivida drivers. Will boot in the morning and see how we go.

Thanks for your help so far....

COLGeek

Cybernaut
55C is not that high. Look at your mobo manual, it should designate the primary PCI-E slot for the GPU. That is the one you should use. BTW, do you have access to another GPU to swap for troubleshooting? Last, is your BIOS up to date?

GoOBa85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Ok, so long time no post.

Have replaced my GTX 260 with a Radeon HD 5770. However, the Pc with still stutter and freeze unless I restart. So I guess this eliminates a GPU issue.

GoOBa85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Finally some good news.

Updated the Chipset drivers and the stuttering has not occurred for two 'cold' starts since. This is the first time these appear to have been updated. Seems so simple!

Currently using the Radeon so will reinstall the orginal GTX card (using iorbituninstaller before doing a clean install).

Thanks!