Received gtx 570- performance not as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Purchased a gtx 570. Going from a gts 250 to a gtx 570 i thought i'd see a mindblowing performance upgrade. But i really didn't. In tes: oblivion i jacked all the settings up and only went up about 15 frames? wtf? am i missing something? I also tried out a few other games and it still isnt the improvement i expected...

cpu: phenom II 940 quad core oc to 3.65
mobo: asus m3n78 pro
ram: 8 gigs ocz @ 1066
1000w psu
windows 7 64 bit

Am i expecting too much??

Solution
If it is heavily modded (such as long range views) 30-40 is the best you can do outdoors. The problem is the game's core is just too outdated. It needs an overhaul, which is fortunately exactly what is happening in ES V.

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
yes, everything is completely updated. Should i be able to run a game flawlessly thats 5~ yrs old like oblivion with everything completely maxed out with a gtx 570? i was under the impression i would.

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
true, but with settings maxed im getting only like 35 frames (vsync is off now) . i dont think thats right. i ran heaven benchmark and i had abg fps of 52.7 and a score of 1328, which is pretty normal. i'm not sure what the problem with oblivion is.

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Perhaps this could be the reason for low fps.
I just noticed that during oblivion, i'm getting reports that only ~22% of my gpu is being used. Compared to fallout, starcraft, and cod which is using anywhere from 70-100% of the gpu.

I tested each for about 10 minutes and oblivion strangley never even came close to 30% gpu usage. Why would so little of the gpu be used only during oblivion?

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I have the most recent drivers, when I get home from school im gonna try an older driver. Also, my game is very heavily modded.

I'm really disappointed, I was looking forward to starting this game over with everything jacked all the way up on my 42'' tv! I'm dumbfounded with how graphically demanding a game as old as oblivion could be!!

There is no way there is anything wrong with the card, it performs extremely well in all other titles i play.

If it is heavily modded (such as long range views) 30-40 is the best you can do outdoors. The problem is the game's core is just too outdated. It needs an overhaul, which is fortunately exactly what is happening in ES V.

Solution

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Yea thats about where i fall under, 30-40 fps. As i turn the settings down of long distance views etc. my frames jump up dramatically. Thats one aspect i love though- seeing everything in the distance as in real life!! Thank god theres another TES coming out, i've been all over that story since i heard about it on ign.

joebobblue

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
All,

After searching all over the web for a solution to the common (my) problem, many others have this same issue:
low FPS in Crysis, Crysis Warhead and other games.
GPU utilization low (<50%, typically 10-15%) and quad core CPU usage to only 1 core with ~100% utilization.
GTX 570 upgrade to a three year old system (q9550 2.4Ghz, dp35dp intel MB, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7)

Loading games is slow, sound is stuttering, and gameplay is unbearable.
I have tried all of the suggestions (new drivers - 4 different versions, setting core to 4 in windows, clearing old drivers, removing start-ups, removing card & reinstalling, removing updates, updating to latest windows, removing hd audio, etc.) except reinstalling windows. All with no significant change in problem.

For me, problem SOLVED:
updated latest Intel MOBO Bios and added updated Intel Motherboard drivers.

Boom! Crysis and Warhead work beautifully (50-60 FPS 1920x1080 with VERY HIGH settings)

I add this here in hopes it helps others.

Best,
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.