Closed Solved

Few HDMI question

Hi, I'd like to get a fairly quick answer, please.. and I'm sure most people will know all about this from personal experience. Well, I have a 32" HDTV that's about 2 years old now. I recently finished building my current computer, and added a HD5870 Radeon @ 1GB GDDR5. I use to have a 8800GT @ 512mb, and used a DVI to VGA adapter, then connected the other end directly into the TV's VGA. Well, this graphics card comes with an HDMI, which I planned to use because of the massive quality increase. However, I recently figured out that resolution on TV monitors is completely different than on computer monitors. Here are my question:

1) What would the resolution of a 32" 720p TV be?

2) If I have a DVI to VGA adapter on the DVI output, but a direct VGA input to the TV, would that impact the quality of the DVI?

3) Do I need a DVI adapter on both sides of the connections?

4) Should I stick with the DVI adapter to VGA into the VGA connector on the TV, or turn to HDMI?

I know all the basics, that VGA is analog and DVI is analog, digital, and is capable of running sound depending on the connector. I know that HDMI has a faster transfer than DVI by a few milliseconds and can carry audio easy, along that it only uses digital signal.

5) My current monitor is running on 1600x1200 with the DVI-VGA output, VGA-VGA input. If the resolution decreases (will it?) will it be worth it? Will I see a quality change?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdmi question
  1. Hi, I also have two more questions:

6) If a DVI to VGA adapter connected into a VGA port, how does that manage to get 1600x1200 when the HDMI (which uses the same signal) could only get 1366x768?

7) How do I correctly setup a DVI to VGA port? Do I put a DVI to VGA adapter on my video card's DVI output then put another (male) DVI adapter on my TV's VGA, or do I just use the DVI connector on the output (video card) then plug the VGA directly into the TV's VGA port? Wouldn't that convert the signal though?

Looking for a lot of help, can't find any on Google. I really appreciate it.
  2. Best answer
    I'll stab at some of these.

1) 1280x720. There are also TVs out there that use 1360x768. It depends on if your using a TV, or a monitor, and if its 16:10, or 16:9.

2) I assume you are talking about effecting your monitor input here? If you have your monitor hooked up with a DVI to VGA cord, and you then run a VGA to VGA to the TV, it should have no effect on the monitor. Your card is capable of running two signals, and they don't affect each other. You could also use DVI to VGA and then a straight HDMI connection to the TV without anything bad happening.

3) Only if you need to? I'm not sure what you're asking here.

4) If you can run DMI might as well? I'd actually try to drop all VGA connections if you can.

5) Again, you should be able to run 1600x1200 on your monitor and 1280x720 on your TV. Nearly every video card for the last 10+ years has two ramdacs, and any onboard that has HDMI would as well. They are independent of each other so don't worry about this.

6) Who says it can only get to 1366x768? Don't the 1080P screens use DMI? That res is a limit of your 720P screen, not the cable.

7) The easiest thing to do would be to use a normal VGA to VGA cord and just use the adapter on your card. Card to DVI/VGA adapter to VGA (male both ends) cord that hooks up computer to TV.

I hope this helps.
  3. Thanks, a lot. This is the first time I've attempted to use a TV for my monitor, since I was only getting 1440x900 on my monitor and had an extra TV. So, when I run the DVI to VGA and connect it to the TV, I get a 1600x1200 resolution. However, my main question here (now that I know all of this information thanks to the last hour on Google and your answers to clear some things up) is: How important is aspect ratio? Should I run DVI to VGA for the 1600x1200 resolution, making it a 4:3 aspect ratio, or should I connect through HDMI and use 1280x720 with a 16:9 aspect ratio? I'm leaning towards the 16:9 aspect ratio so the images look more.. zoomed out I guess.. but since I have been through a line of monitors I've seen resolution make a huge difference. So: higher resolution or higher aspect ratio? Thanks in advanced.
  4. Aspect ratio will depend on your monitor. You'll want to stick to the 4:3 res's for your 16x12 monitor, and the 16:10 or 16:9 for the TV, depending on what its native res is.
  5. Well, that's what I was asking. For my 32" 720p television, I can hook it up with VGA (DVI adapter) and get 1600x1200 with a 4:3 ratio, or I can get 1280x720 with a 16:9 ratio. Is the resolution loss worth the aspect ratio increase/nativeness?
  6. Best answer selected by Pandabearz.
  7. What you are saying doesn't make any sense. You can't get a square (4:3) resolution that's 1200 pixels tall if your TV is a rectangle and only 720 (or 768) pixels tall. Its like trying to paint a yardstick (36 inches) on a stick thats only a ruler (12 inches).

I don't mind PMs in the least, but seeing as the question is still open we might as well keep talking here. Hopefully Mouse won't close the question...
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon DVI VGA HDMI Graphics