Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Boot-up Problems?

Last response: in Components
July 2, 2011 4:10:59 PM

Hello,

Okay, so I was programming on my PC, then I decided to shut it off and go take a shower. After I got out of the shower, I remembered that I needed to sync my iPhone, so I pressed to power button. The front led and fans lit up for under a second and the computer failed to power on. I do not know what happened, so I tried it a couple of more times... Bad mistake? So I read online that it could have been the PSU, but it has worked fine for the past 1 1/2 years, and the new parts I just bought and put together worked fine for the 30 days that I had them.

Sometime during this frustration, I read that the PSU has a 115 and a 230 red switch on the back of it. Not knowing what that really did, I switched it up to 230... The PC then turned on, but the power had always been on 115, so how could this have happened...

Now the worst part, the POST failed at the CPU. I have an ASUS motherboard which has leds all over it to tell you what component is being tested. I thought the CPU was getting overloaded with power, so I just turned it off and then tried another technique. Plug 8-pin connector into the CPU spot on the motherboard... Did not work. So I reverted back to everything (230 to 115, 4-pin connector) and just turned left the computer off for about 5 hours.

When I arrived home, I decided to give it one last shot before I claimed that it was a bad part. Guess what, it turned on and passed the POST and booted Windows, so now here I am posting this thread.

Can someone please explain to me what just happened???

More about : boot problems

a c 91 ) Power supply
July 2, 2011 8:37:45 PM

Your PSU was getting bored and so decided to play a prank with you. On a more serious note, a red switch at the back is an age old design. Those might be the first signs of a dying PSU. If you can, change it ASAP.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2011 9:02:24 PM

Yes, basically the 115 and 230 relates to the voltage. In the UK and i think most of EUROPE we use a 230v power supply. All our house hold items connect to plug sockets in the wall that deliver 230/240v power.

In the US, the power given out at wall sockets is 115v.

Your lucky you didnt do it the other way round (plug 115v appliance into a 240v socket) because this can blow circuits and permentantly damage components.

Basically, long story short, make sure that red and black switch is set right before powering anything on :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2011 11:48:17 PM

Well, thank you guys for the responses. I am thinking the PSU is going bad, because now my DVD drive won't even power on. I ordered a OCZ 1000W 80-plus gold modular power supply to replace my BFG 650W. So hopefully that solves the issue.
m
l
July 4, 2011 11:57:24 PM

I just don't get why I can replug the power cord in and turn the black switch on after a couple of hours and turn it on. The only part that doesn't power is the DVD drive. I can still use my computer like normal, I just have a feeling that sometime soon that PSU will die.

Any explanation of why my computer powered on perfectly for the past 30 days then started having these symptoms?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 5, 2011 10:25:03 AM

You may find in fact you have blown the Optical Drive. In which case it will be cheaper to try a new optical drive than replacing your PSU.
m
l
July 5, 2011 11:59:51 PM

Eh, I already purchased a new one, have yet to receive it in the mail lol. Good thing I still have my backup drive. I'm not going to use my PC until I replace the PSU.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 6, 2011 12:44:19 PM

AdrianPerry said:

Your lucky you didnt do it the other way round (plug 115v appliance into a 240v socket) because this can will blow circuits and permentantly damage components.

If you are lucky, you will just fry only the power supply.
m
l
July 8, 2011 6:37:10 PM

It was the Power Supply. I just got my package in today for a 1000W OCZ Modular PSU, and replaced it. Everything runs fine now without any freezing or power button issues. I am so happy.

And the DVD-Drive ATA power connector was accidentally unplugged, so that is why it didn't turn on. Ha-ha.
m
l
July 8, 2011 9:08:07 PM

I have a question though, when I shut down my pc I just here one tick before the psi completely turns off, sounds like a fan hitting a wire, but I checked all for that. What is it?
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2011 8:36:22 AM

Mine does the same. Although i've never really been able to locate the source of the sound. When it shuts down just before it completly turns off theres like a tick sound before all power goes off.

(Im using an XFX 750w PSU)
July 9, 2011 2:37:25 PM

Maybe it is the PSU fully shutting off because it is such a high wattage? How long have you had yours?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2011 3:04:29 PM

Near enough brand new, had it like 2 weeks now. But yeah i figured it was something like that.
m
l
July 27, 2011 4:34:46 AM

Best answer selected by degeegin.
m
l
!