Sign in with
Your question

Living room PC, also for graphic design

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2011 1:18:10 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a new desktop PC to replace the old laptop that I currently have in the living room.
I'd like you guys to give me some advice.

It should be preferably quiet with low consumption, but powerful enough to work with big files in photo editing software. Gaming is not important for me. A slim/mini-PC/nettop design would be nice, I don't want it to be bulky. I'm on a limited budget. I'd rather get something pre-built than building it myself (for lack of experience)

So here are my answers on the template.

Approximate Purchase Date: not in a hurry, let's say within one month.

Budget Range: max 650$ (better if under 500$)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic design (some large photoshop files), Photography workflow, Internet, Office, Watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: -

Country of Origin: I'm in the EU/Austria.

Parts Preferences: -

Overclocking: probably not

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: at least 1600 x 1200

Additional Comments:
- Will be in the living room -> quiet, small size/slim
- Better with optical unit (DVD-RW or Bluray)
- At least 4GB of RAM
- If I get a new TV sometime in the future (not going to happen within 1 year), I'd use this computer as media center

Thanks!
Peter
April 6, 2011 12:12:07 PM

Hello PD;

Where do Austrians buy PCs online? It won't do you (or us) much good to recommend something you can't get your hands on.
April 6, 2011 12:26:12 PM

HP Austria does not carry the slimline model of PC for some reason.
Dell Austria also does not carry the slimline of PCs there.

You might want to list your budget in local currency & Euros as well.
It would not hurt to mention Austria in your topic title - you could get the 'right' person to notice your topic.
April 6, 2011 1:24:53 PM

if you were in the US, I'd suggest a build like the one in my signature, but with a GTS 440 for $80 instead of the hd 6850 for $165, and the Antec Fusion HTPC case. w/ 350W 80+ PSU, and a larger (1 TB) Hard drive

It should be around $600
!