Help reinstalling heatsink on damaged AMD

computerfool

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hi there,

My Phenom II 965 BE has been running fine (32 idle, 50ish under load).

But then I got that "genious" idea to to put in a new and even better heat sink. I yanked the old one off and of course the processor went with it. I then yanked the processor off the heat sink and bent like half the pins.

I spent half a day unbending pins with dental floss and a credit card.

To test it, I put the heatsink back on without reapplying new thermal paste. It worked fine. So I tried to get the heatsink back off but whatever thermal paste remained on the heatsink got glued to the processor AGAIN!! I decided not to push my luck and just left it all in there.

Now my processor is running about 35 idle and gets to about 55 on medium load but when video gaming on full eyefinity with 5760x1080 it goes as high as 65.

Should I try to remove the heatsink to add thermal paste or let it be? What is the best way to remove a heatsink off the badly damaged processor?

Rather than yanking it out like a beast, be gentle with it, pull up slightly while wiggling it from side to side, that will help to break the paste loose and you will be able to get it off, it will take some time but it works and wont pull your CPU out of its socket.

computerfool

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, I now know not to yank it off. Lol. I learned my lesson. How likely is it that wiggling it will break one of the pins previously damaged?

Try dismantling it when the CPU is still warm. Whatever thermal compound residue is left, it will be more pliable when warm. To aid removal, you can try using a tiny piece of spring steel as a make-shift pry bar, and gently work your way in.

Whatever you try, do not use excessive force.

If you use any type of cleaning liquid like alcohol swabs, hold the CPU upside down so that no liquid seeps into the CPU.

computerfool

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

Just to clarify, does everyone agree that 55-65 C is critical temperature for this processor necessitating repair? I was thinking to let it be... I really don't want to spend $140 on a new processor.

Under load, these temps are fine! However, if the CPU is not installed properly using a good thermal compound, then there is no assurance that these temps will be maintained in the future. That's why it is important to install the CPU/heatsink properly.

computerfool

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for your help so far! I am a total computer fool so if you don't mind just go one step further and clarify what will happen. If the CPU temps will spike, won't the PC just safely shutdown once critical temperatures are reached? At which point, I will know to replace the compound. Or are you saying that at one point it will overheat and melt without giving me any warnings?

After that day unbending pins with dental floss, I just really don't want to mess with it unless I absolutely have to. That's why I am asking all these dumb questions... Thanks!