AMD Phenom2 X6 1100T Final Build List Seeking Opinions

StuMan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hi everyone, below is the final components list for my upcoming build. Basically just looking for any compatibility issues someone has had with any of the components, or any reliability issues. I don't want to change to an Intel CPU or anything like that. So if anyone has thoughts on how anything in the build could be done better for around the same price I am open to thoughts. At the moment I should be able to grab all of these parts from Newegg for just over two grand so I dont want to go any higher in price

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts.

CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

Monitor SAMSUNG P2770FH ToC Rose Black 27" 1ms Full HD

Graphics MSI R6970-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit

RAM CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 CMP8GX3M2A1600C9

Primary HD Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC SSD

Secondary HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB

PSU CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W

Case Silverstone RV02B-EW

Keyboard Logitech G110

Mouse Gigabyte GM-M6980

DVD/CD Burners ASUS Black DVD burner x2

CPU Cooler Coolermaster Hyper 212+

Or maybe YOUR reading comprehension is not so good?

It all looks good, except I would suggest a WD Black or a Samsung Spinpoint for a hdd.

bombat1994

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
for a gaming pc sandy bridge is better. there isnt much price difference between the i5 2500k and the 1100t. the 1100t only beats the 1 2500k in the most well threaded video editing programs and even then the difference is nominal. if you want an amd cpu your best bet would be to wait for bulldozer. it should be able to beat sandy bridge in heavily threaded applications and come close in gaming.

intel dont make the best ssd really. they are not nearly as fast as the ones with the sandforce dirvers and even the new intel ones are going to be surpassed by the vertex 3's running the sandforce 2 driver.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Agree.

Unless the OP is bound and determined to have an AMD machine RIGHT NOW, best bet is to wait for Bulldozer. Choosing a 1100 over a SB only buys less machine (a LOT less machine, actually)

If the OP is determined to have an AMD machine RIGHT NOW (and hey, maybe he/she is) I would recommend a 955 or 965 over an 1100, if the purpose is gaming and general purpose use.

After perusing the Anandtech CPU benchmarks, it is clear than almost any AM3 CPU can handle almost any game; the 1100T certainly can. Even if SB might be faster, let's accept the OP's constraint and move on...
With BD right around the corner, it may be worth waiting for socket AM3+ mobos to come out, which would at least leave open an upgrade option. If the system must be built NOW, another alternative would be to get a much cheaper board (like the $60 ASRock 770DE) with plans to replace it in a couple months.
Unless you're specifically planning on Crossfire later, you don't need an 850W PSU; 550W-650W would be more than enough; perhaps a 550W Antec Truepower New or 560W or 650W Seasonic "X" would be better choices.
You might consider a 100GB-120GB SSD; 80GB may disappear more quickly than you think, depending on how much "stuff" you plan to put on it.
Otherwise the build looks decent.

It's amazing how many fanboys cannot understand a simple statement.

I don't want to change to an Intel CPU or anything like that. So if anyone has thoughts on how anything in the build could be done better for around the same price I am open to thoughts.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Subidoo

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Wasn't asking to be rude, nor direct him to change. Was just curious on why, my previous gaming rig had a Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition and it did great playing Wow and some other games np. But for two grand, best bet is to get a setup ready for bulldozer. So i apologize if my question bothered anyone.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

I think it's fair. There have been plenty of folks who have come here not realizing that at this time buying AMD , AT THIS TIME, is a good way to get less machine for your money. Historically I've gone with AMD for better per-$ value unless there was a compelling reason to go with an Intel product.

IMO, unless a poster specifically states they will not consider X vendor because of personal politics, I don't think there's any harm in mentioning when there's a superior value to be had. :sol:

I also stand by my prior statement to forget the 1100 and get the 955. That's strictly my empirical, non-scientific recommendation. I have 3 1100 chips here and only one is in use (design/gaming). I "upgraded" 3 955 machines to 1100s last fall and after about a month got asked to please give back the 955s. The 1100 in use was built into a 4th machine that nobody likes. Having used multiple 955s next to multiple 1100s, going to give the 1100 a major thumbs down.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's amazing how many people have no clue that something like Sandy Bridge exists and how much better it is than any of the 3 generation older AMD stuff out there. They see 6 cores and think " that must be the best". People recommending SB are just trying to help the OP get the most for his money.

It's also amazing how unhelpful most of your posts are.

StuMan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the awesome input, I just have a personal preference for AMD, always have used them and never been let down plus video editing and protein synthesis modeling is hell on cores so 6 is what I am going to go with for now. Good input about the SSD I will change it over to the OCZ one as it seems to be a much better deal. Thanks for that point. I will hopefully put another 6970 in during the coming year as they get cheaper so the power should suffice.

Other than that, I thank you all and I wont bother explaining my AMD preference.

Oh and I did change the HDD to a samsung F4 2TB. It wasn't much more in price anyway though the seagate HDD was in a combo with the TX850w PSU so I changed the PSU also for the HX850w. This will make my life easier with the modular PSU and for only 60 bucks more for the both of them.

christop

Distinguished

TOTAL +1 I see your point a good bit of people do think o wow 6 cores it has got to be better. So as for people saying intel fan boy well I am cause a quad I7 beats the *** out of a 4 or 6 core amd.

StuMan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Well, as stated I have no problems with my AMD hex core, plus when I run programs from my lab that can utilize all 6 of the cores, which we do run at the moment. You might imagine that the AMD hex core CPU would demolish the Intel quad core.
Thanks to all of you who gave non fanboy assistance, I really appreciate it.

With the change from the CPU Cooler Coolermaster Hyper 212+ to the Scythe Murgen 2 rev.B as it is quieter and more effective I am going to consider the build complete.

StuMan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

Oh and Christop,

Please post on the Intel forums next time, your comments really weren't helpful in the least during this discussion.

Dr Diesel

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

Thank you WOMBAT.I currently have a 965 and was thinking of an 1100 upgrade. Thanks for the food for thought.