There is no minimum(or maximum for that matter) processor for crossfire or SLI. Any processor will do it. If you are asking for minimum bottleneck on stock clocks then it will be the Phenom II X4 980 from AMD and i5 2500K from Intel. The Intel solution will be faster among the two. If you are willing to overclock then the Phenom II X4 955 gets the recommendation from AMD camp.

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Crossfire isn't about using multiple monitors (that's Eyefinity), it's about using multiple GPUs to get extra graphics processing power.

Uther39

Distinguished
That is your choice all the CPUs you have mentioned will happily run Crossfire 6870 without a bottle kneck, now its just down to your budget, AMD being the cheaper option, personaly i would buy a 1090T a decent aftermarket cooler and OC your CPU to 3.8 - 4.0ghz.

PS, what resolutions do you game at ?

The i5-2500k even if left at stock clocks will likely outframe the X4/X6 based rigs even if successfully OC'd to 4 GHz...; if the $100 more in CPU cost (over an X4 955)is not a prohibiting factor, the i5-2500k is the obvious choice in my opinion....