KarnKarn

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI
CPU: Intel 2.4 GHz dual core; 775 socket; E6600
Video Card: NVidia Geforce 460 GTX
Memory: 4gb DDR2
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

I want to upgrade my CPU to a quad-core. However, I don't know if I should get a quad-core with a 775 socket or get a motherboard with a newer CPU socket.

The reason I want to upgrade is I just got the Geforce 460 GTX, but certain games like Assassin's Creed 2 still have lag, which I believe is my CPU's problem.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
P.S: Money is always an issue, so 500 dollar processors are out of my price range.

I ran Assassins Creed 2 smoothly with very high settings on an overclocked E6750 (overclocked to 3.4 GHz) and a stock clocked HD 4870 1GB. So you too should first try to overclock that CPU and check the results. Something like a 3.0 GHz clock should be enough. It is not a very demanding game (great game though, impressive visuals and storyline).

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hmm since money is your issue..., it really depends on how much money you have.

If your tight, quite tight... then i reccomend getting an amd 955 phenom x4 with a new mobo, get either am3 or am3+ (i reccomend getting an am3+ with a 6gbs and usb 3 for the future! might as well, however if your short on cash, its not bad to get an AM3 board, actually it probably wont make much of a different, it may be a waste of cash so dont get all worked up over this)

Or if you have more money, you can get the sandy bridge models of the intel i5 2X00(K). So either 2300, 2400, or 2500k or 2600k (wait does i5 have a 2600k or is that just i7?) You will need a new sandy bridge compatible mobo which costs around 55 quid or so.

However the 955 is slower than the i5, it is much much cheaper. Here is what i mean.

955 = around $130
AM3 mobo = around $65
AM3+ mobo = around $100

i52X00 = around $250
Sandy bridg MOBO = £90

those are aproximates, you may find cheaper or more expensive but thast around about it. You can see that you save alot more with the 955 even though thee is a lack in performance.

However if you really want your pc for gaming, go for the 2500k, thats if you are an enthusaist. If, like me, you dont really care for amazing game play and dont want to max out on crysis (dunno why anyone does want to do this...) then go for te 955. As for general tasks, such as web browsing, word, photo editing video editing, you wont notice much as of a second of difference from both sides...

hope i helped.