labasu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
My MSI motherboard is not functioning properly. It will run just fine for a while only to "crash". It will randomly turn off my monitor, mouse, keyboard and sound (or anything via USB port). In addition, in order to get anything back up, I have to pull the plug seeing as my power button in front of my tower does not work when this happens. I didnt OC anything. All drivers are up to date.

Here is my build

MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
So, what's the question? If it's still under warranty, I would obviously recommend getting a replacement from the manufacturer.

Go to this website: http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=service

If your motherboard is still under warranty, you should try to replace it. If not, I'd try to reinstall the motherboard drivers. If that doesn't work, I'd try to borrow somebody else's motherboard if you can, but obviously that's not a small thing to borrow... I would also check your power supply if the motherboard fix doesn't work. I've had a power supply go bad and cause major problems with all kinds of random parts. For example, I thought my video card was broken because it kept downclocking itself and crashing. It turned out that it was just because it wasn't getting enough power.

labasu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
This is the 2nd power supply I tired in this PC. Both I tired in my other PC and worked fine.

The MOBO is under warranty. Could Ram be a cause of this problem?

labasu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
The only thing I did in the BIOS so far was set the boot drives. I havent touched anything else or even try to OC the system for the maiin reason I dont know much about OC a PC. So if the RAM being on AUTO is a default thing then yes its still on AUTO.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Have you run any sort of memory test (memtest)?

labasu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
So the default setting for my ram was set as 1333 and the ram i have is 1600. Also the dram volts was set on auto default which was 1.5volts. I changed the volts to 1.65 and changed the 1333 to 1600. could this have been my issue the whole time?

labasu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
No I am not using the stock CPU cooling fan. When I checked the temps the cpu was at 34c and gpu was at 38c. when running sims or wow the gpu goes up to the max of 45c. I dont think I have a over heating issue. I found out that its only doing these things at random times when i am playing a game. Never has it once locked up in just win7, and it locks up the same way in the sims as it does in wow. Its been two days now since it has crashed and I have been testing it really hard and playing games on it all day.

labasu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Cool. I do have one question, can a GPU cause usb ports to fail? One thing I did notice different was when it did crash in windows I had a green light on for the display like it was connected but just with no picture. I went down to disconnect the cable from the GPU and it wen orange light, then I pluged it back in and it gave me the green light like it connected but still no image. But in games it just goes orange light and cant do anything.