Sign in with
Your question

Odd Electrical Interference High Pitch Sound Asus Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
March 6, 2012 11:52:09 PM

Hey all, this has been a really helpful site to me over the past few years and has answered alot of questions, so I though I'd ask one that I couldn't find an answer to.
Built my first system the other day:

ASUS P8Z68-V LE
G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
i5 2500k
Corsair cx600

Problem?: While the computer is plugged into the wall and the board/computer has power it has a high pitched electrical sound. This is when the computer is OFF. I can't tell if it occurs while running because of the fans running (it isn't super loud, but noticeable to somone who is paranoid like me after powerdown). I did alittle searching around and have found people who describe a similar sound, but happens while their computer is running..... I listend around and it is very hard to tell where the sound is coming from.

I ruled out the PSU making the noise by unplugging the board from power (this is a PSU I pulled from another computer, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the issue).

Computer seems to run just fine though, aside from this 'issue'

Hints, tips, insights, and thoughts are appreciated

Thank you
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2012 1:13:56 AM

With no load on the PSU (board unplugged) does that mean the rest is still plugged in?

Perhaps its either a bad component on the MB or the PSU stops the noise when there is no load on it (the PSU).

Borrow a different PSU to eliminate either PSU or MB
m
l
March 7, 2012 6:54:10 PM

Well, I know it isn't the power supply because it was swapped over from my old computer and it didn't make a sound. Also, when I unplug the PSU the mobo's LED (that shows power is on the board) stays illuminated for approximately 5-10 seconds, all the while the noise persists until the LED discharges whatever charge a capacitor retained from the PSU
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 1:56:55 AM

Bad/loose coil or failing cap probably on the MB.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 2:11:56 AM

Disconnect all your optical drive and Hard Drive.....and listen again.... most high pitch sound first is come from the power supply ... and the second is come from the HD.....

Better open the side panel and hear what is going on ...at what part.
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:25:49 AM

sonexpc said:
Disconnect all your optical drive and Hard Drive.....and listen again.... most high pitch sound first is come from the power supply ... and the second is come from the HD.....

Better open the side panel and hear what is going on ...at what part.

I'll give all of those a try. Would drives make such a sound even when the system is not powered on? Also, the side panel has been off the whole time that I have heard the noise, I don't like to button everything up until I know everything is up to snuff, which is well since I heard this 'noise'.

Also, even though I'm fairly sure it is not the PSU, I don't have another PSU that has a 4+4 atx connector. Could I just take the PSU and hook it up to my old mobo that used a 4 pin and see if it makes a similar sound?

Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 2:33:59 AM

blitz355 said:

Also, even though I'm fairly sure it is not the PSU, I don't have another PSU that has a 4+4 atx connector. Could I just take the PSU and hook it up to my old mobo that used a 4 pin and see if it makes a similar sound?

Thanks!

That is a good idea....by the way what power supply you use...
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:13:19 PM

Connected the PSU outside of the case today and it is definetly coming from the PSU. Funny that I didn't notice the noise on my old computer. Question is, is it still safe to use? Or should I RMA it? I've only had if for 5 or 6 months. Corsair cx600
m
l
March 10, 2012 9:08:37 PM

sonexpc said:
That is a good idea....by the way what power supply you use...

Corsair CX600! can't believe I didn't list that little bit of info!
m
l
!