DDR3 (L) ... A must add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
OK, so I am waiting for the new Ivy Bridge processors until I get a new system. I have most of what I want to build a new system but I get this news during a review that things have changed. It seems that I have to get new memory technology called DDR3L. This is supposed to be better than the standard 4 sticks of DDR3 1666 that I have now. Do I need this RAM upgrade in order to get the benefits of the rest of the new technology? How is this going to affect the rest of the system?

Thanks,

Jim

Solution
there're 3 kinds: DDR3 (1.5V), DDR3L (1.35V), DDR3U (1.25V), for end-users the diff is only on the operating voltages, each comes at usual speed, such as 1333, 1600, 1866, so they only differ in power consumption & therefore heat dissipation

to answer your 2 questions: (1) no, (2) cooler sys, i don't know how cooler but theoritically it is

also some say that low-voltage ddr3 offers OC headroom as they are also required to support running at 1.5V, while in theory it's true, i haven't tried

btw, i recently post question on tomshardware about low-voltage ddr3, maybe you could help me by trying the low-voltage ddr3 at your sig system (F1A75-M pro), that's, of course, in case you actually buy it / borrow it. thx

drabun

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
there're 3 kinds: DDR3 (1.5V), DDR3L (1.35V), DDR3U (1.25V), for end-users the diff is only on the operating voltages, each comes at usual speed, such as 1333, 1600, 1866, so they only differ in power consumption & therefore heat dissipation

to answer your 2 questions: (1) no, (2) cooler sys, i don't know how cooler but theoritically it is

also some say that low-voltage ddr3 offers OC headroom as they are also required to support running at 1.5V, while in theory it's true, i haven't tried

btw, i recently post question on tomshardware about low-voltage ddr3, maybe you could help me by trying the low-voltage ddr3 at your sig system (F1A75-M pro), that's, of course, in case you actually buy it / borrow it. thx

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.