New PC for Sound Design/Audio Recording

smakbunny

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I am looking for advice from the experts on what they think is needed and required for a PC focussed on Audio. My prior build is getting dated, so it's time for a new box. I already have a highend PCI audio card (M Audio Delta 192) and simply want to know what direction I should go in, in terms of CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, GFX Card. Keep in mind that I run multiple MIDI instruments and USB powered modules so power may be a concern. I'm also debating if SSD would be a good option for quick read/writes with Ableton and quicker launch times. I'd like to keep the build as cheap as possible and will cap the build price at $1,000 post rebate.

So the questions:

AMD Phenom 6 or Intel i5 2500k or something cheaper?

Graphics Card- Do I even need one? If so, how beefy of a card is needed? Suggestions for cards?

MOBO/OCing? Will overclocking help with audio rendering, should a tweaker board or a base board be considered?

RAM- 1600 or 1333 and how many GB would be needed?

SSD- Worth the price for loading audio quicker?

PSU- How many Watts would be needed? 500-600-650-700?

Thank you all in advanced for your wisdom and assistance!

smakbunny

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

No games played- strictly audio generation (Ableton, VSTs) (Very much so retired from WoW)
I do plan on O/C'ing as far as I can without an AM Fan/Sink or Liquid Cooling
Windows 7 already covered
Target price range $800-1000
Dual monitor support is neccessary (triple would be sweet, eventually)

I'm really trying to learn what theory's and modern technologies would serve the benefit of audio generation. Everything is so graphically-focussed now-a-days (well always) that it's hard to find information on builds which appeal to the audio side of things. There are some boxes out there by companies charging silly mark-ups on "studio PCs" and a lot of their components seem ill fit, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks for the response, your guidance is much welcomed.