• Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2011 1:37:01 PM

Hello

I'm looking at 150$ cards, max.
The only and most logical option I've found is a
Asus ATI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
used only for one month, 145$.

I know it's not really an update on my old HD4870 (may be a downgrade in some games with AA) but should I go for it ?

Will it work on my system and PSU ?
BTW, I play on 1920x1080.

My system :
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 Ghz
4 GB RAM DDR2
500GB HDD
Intel G41
PSU : h**p://i51.tinypic.com/xqcfvc.jpg

I had another PSU (Thermaltake) with my HD4870, but both went out of service a while back. So don't tell me "if it worked with a 4870 it will work with a 5770".

I need a short-term solution. Got a couple of weeks off so I'm looking forward to playing a couple of games I'm eager to try.

At the moment, my budget is 150$, may stretch to 200$, worst case.
Since I'm living in exile, in a country where PC gamers and high-end cards/system are a rarity, and shipping costs from the US are out of this world, all decent I could find was this barely used 5770.

I know my system's not ace, and that 150$ won't make it so, but I'd like to know if this budget will let me play recent games, and most of all the STALKER series, via this 5770 probably.

Will it work on my system ? Can this PSU let it run properly ?

I'll surely upgrade the whole lot by summer, but short-term is all I can afford now.

Thanks

More about : 5770 work current system

January 27, 2011 2:20:31 PM

you might want to overclock your cpu a bit.... other than that if your psu worked with a 4870 it will no doubt work with a 5770... I dont know what country you are from but in the US you can get a gtx 460 1 gig for about $160 which would be a much better buy, in fact even a 768mb gtx 460 would be more powerful and a better buy than a 5770... the 5770 is def not an upgrade to a 4870, the 5770 is barley powerful enough to run dx11 imo so at that level of gpu I would def stick with a 4870 it will usually be a bit more powerful than a 5770.... otherwise it would be a big waste of money, better to buy an aftermarket cpu cooler such as the coolermaster hyper 212+ and try to oc your cpu a bit they only run about 30 and easily perform at the levels of the 80 dollar coolers... that will give you much more of a performance jump then side-grading/downgrading to a 5770
January 27, 2011 2:37:41 PM

jjb8675309 said:
you might want to overclock your cpu a bit.... other than that if your psu worked with a 4870 it will no doubt work with a 5770... I dont know what country you are from but in the US you can get a gtx 460 1 gig for about $160 which would be a much better buy, in fact even a 768mb gtx 460 would be more powerful and a better buy than a 5770... the 5770 is def not an upgrade to a 4870, the 5770 is barley powerful enough to run dx11 imo so at that level of gpu I would def stick with a 4870 it will usually be a bit more powerful than a 5770.... otherwise it would be a big waste of money, better to buy an aftermarket cpu cooler such as the coolermaster hyper 212+ and try to oc your cpu a bit they only run about 30 and easily perform at the levels of the 80 dollar coolers... that will give you much more of a performance jump then side-grading/downgrading to a 5770

Hello mate
Thanks for the reply.
As I said in my first post, both my HD4870 and my Thermaltake PSU (450W for VGA only) stopped working (fried) a while back.

I have no video-card now, and I'd do with one for the next couple of weeks.
For 150-200$, the best shot I could find here is this 5770.
I know it's not really of an upgrade (apart from DX11 support), but it's everything I could find now, I'd have to wait 'til summer to get any part from the US/UK, and I'm looking for a short-term solution.

I'm asking this question here because I've got this new PSU (I've posted a photo) from a PC technician 'round the corner, and I'm not so sure about it.
My MoBo is a doubt for me as well, some lads are saying it's not good enough to run this 5770 or even my old dead 4870.

So I just wanna know if a 5770 will work properly with my PSU and MoBo.
I'm having mixed replies, so I thought I'd join and ask here...

P.S : I know nothing about over-clocking, I'll leave that to when I get everything set up...
Related resources
January 27, 2011 2:39:53 PM

give me your psu make and model if you don't knwo your mobo, then go to run type dxdiag and hit enter.... this will give you most of your system specs including your motherboard... without this info I cannot say for sure what will work for you.
January 27, 2011 2:45:21 PM

jjb8675309 said:
give me your psu make and model if you don't knwo your mobo, then go to run type dxdiag and hit enter.... this will give you most of your system specs including your motherboard... without this info I cannot say for sure what will work for you.

This is my PSU
h**p://i51.tinypic.com/xqcfvc.jpg

My MoBo is Intel G41 (don't know the rest as I'm not home right now)
Will get you more details when I get home, if needed.
January 27, 2011 2:56:04 PM

the psu should work, but it is still suspect, if you are having problems then that is the first thing i would replace but 25 amps on a 12v rail should be enough to power a 5770.. when you get home type dxdiag in the run bar and this will tell you the make and model of your motherboard
January 27, 2011 2:56:59 PM

intel g41 is a chipset not the make and model of your motherbaord nessessarily so get back to me after running dxdiag. If your motherbaord has a pci-express slot then you will likely be fine with that level of gpu regaurdless of whether its 8x or 16x, but if its 4x then that will hinder your gpu performance
January 27, 2011 3:20:19 PM

DxDiag says :

System Manufacturer : INTEL
System Model : DG41RQ__
January 27, 2011 3:30:55 PM

I just looked up your motherboard, your fine, it has a 16x pci-express slot, go for the 5770! if you are having issue then look to place your psu, but it will probably do just fine if it actually provides the specs that it says it does :)  hope that helps I'm going to run off to class but if you need more help reply back, or pm me and I will be glad to be of assistance have a good day
January 27, 2011 3:35:51 PM

kopite1892 said:
DxDiag says :

System Manufacturer : INTEL
System Model : DG41RQ__

Post the entire DXDiag -- that will tell us what CPU etc. you are using so we can get a better idea of the overall power usage needs of the system -- the PSU you have is an older model 650W unit that does not have alot of +12v amperage so it might work OK with a 5770 depending on the rest of your system (ie. what CPU it is using will make a difference if it is a 125W CPU that would be using about half of the available amperage (10.5 Amps of the 25 it is rated) on the +12V so will probably not run a 5770 also and remain stable but if it is say a 65W cpu (5.5Amps) then it should be fine !!)
January 27, 2011 3:36:42 PM

Lots of people not trusting the PSU's manufacturer, but I think I'll give it a try !

Thanks mate for everything, really appreciated :) 

(already night here) Have a good day
January 27, 2011 3:43:42 PM

yeah the power supply is definatley sketchy but might as well try it, if you notice a crash in gameplay or any other time for that matter then replace it right away, If you can afford it I would replace the psu anyways so it doesn't damage any of your other components and your system will have much better stability as well as the ability to do some overclocking on your cpu... so you might want to look into that in the near future
January 27, 2011 3:48:22 PM

kopite1892 said:
Lots of people not trusting the PSU's manufacturer, but I think I'll give it a try !

Thanks mate for everything, really appreciated :) 

(already night here) Have a good day

It's just that it is a no name brand that is an older design that places more Amps on the +5 and +3 Volt rails and less on the +12V (since older system used to use less +12V power) so even though it is rated at 650W the power is distributed to the wrong voltages for modern systems so may\may not have enough to power your CPU and video card (25Amps = 300W) so your PSU is actually more like a modern 350W unit not a 650W one so is marginal at best for a 5770 - So hard to recommend it without at least some reservations ! (and the fact that it is an older design also means less chance that it has the proper protection circuits to keep it from taking the system with it if it fails )
January 27, 2011 3:49:47 PM

JDFan said:
Post the entire DXDiag -- that will tell us what CPU etc. you are using so we can get a better idea of the overall power usage needs of the system -- the PSU you have is an older model 650W unit that does not have alot of +12v amperage so it might work OK with a 5770 depending on the rest of your system (ie. what CPU it is using will make a difference if it is a 125W CPU that would be using about half of the available amperage (10.5 Amps of the 25 it is rated) on the +12V so will probably not run a 5770 also and remain stable but if it is say a 65W cpu (5.5Amps) then it should be fine !!)

Here's the full Dxdiag mate :
h**p://i52.tinypic.com/353cgaf.jpg
January 27, 2011 3:53:41 PM

So what do you lads reckon ?
I can't afford to buy both the 5770 and a PSU (they're expensive here) now.
Should I give it a try ?

By the way, I've got a Point of View 400W PSU that I'm not using, I don't know if that could help...
January 27, 2011 3:55:57 PM

yeah JDFan is quite correct in the above comment overall its hard to recomend using that psu at all and you could grab a decent lower wattage psu that would be ample for your 5770 and your cpu for not that much cost:

although there are many options out there go with a trusted name brand such as corsair, antec or seasonic, you could go with a hundred different psus really but heres one that I would consider if I was in your situation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and another:

January 27, 2011 3:57:22 PM

also why not install the 64-bit version of windows 7?
January 27, 2011 4:00:54 PM

the Point of View psu (pov) will likely give you similar problems depending on what the actual specs are... so in the end the POV might be a POS...:) .....try your 650w psu and if it doesn't work you already know what the culprit is and ultimately you wont do any damage to your system by trying it out, so go for it, if it doesn't work return the gpu, that is about all the advice I can offer, let us knwo how it goes..

also if you can't afford both then grab a 5670, definatley a step down from a 5770 or even a 5750 but it should run on almost any psu, so therefor you will not have to upgrade your psu if you make that determination after trying the 5770
January 27, 2011 4:04:38 PM

kopite1892 said:
Here's the full Dxdiag mate :
h**p://i52.tinypic.com/353cgaf.jpg

Actually that is just one page to post the entire thing you'd save all - which will create a text file on your desktop named dxdiag.txt which you could then open in notepad and copy\paste here. (since it also includes a count of how many HDDs, DVD drives Etc. you have installed) but that at least shows the CPU is a q8200 which is a 95W cpu and that you have 4gb. of RAM -- which leaves us with some doubts on whether the PSU is sufficient.

Figure the PSU has 25Amps (according to their specs which may\may not be accurate and is usually overstated) which would mean 25 x12 = 300Watts available at best -- now subtract the 95W usage of the CPU and 110W usage for the stock 5770 and you have 300 - 95 - 110 = 95W (8Amps) at best for the rest of the systems +12V usage which is cutting it pretty close (since the ratings are usually under optimal conditions and overrated and as PSUs age the output drops) -- so if you are using more than a single HDD, DVD drive, USB devices, etc. that 8 Amps is very close to gone. If it were me I'd really consider getting a new PSU just to be safe if possible !
January 27, 2011 4:07:33 PM

^+1 agreed very good info and advice, also check out my psu link above :) 
January 27, 2011 4:16:08 PM

I can't shop at newegg, nor at most web-sites, as they don't ship worldwide (current location : Beirut, Lebanon)

I think I'm gonna try and grab this 5770 and see how it works.
Can't returned it since it's (barely) used.
Worst case, PSU fries and I get another one ?

I'm cautious because I've just lost a HD4870 and a ThermalTake 450W PSU for VGA, paid 600$ for both and barely played...

And I'm still unsure if I can get the HD4870 to work again, only one of the power input doesn't work, but warranty not valid anymore and locals here can't help...
January 27, 2011 7:13:32 PM

yeah i cant tell you for sure if it will work but you have already heard our advice... your psu will not fry, your system will just not start or it will crash in windows or in games
January 27, 2011 7:30:14 PM

I don't know how reliable electric service is in Beirut, but I'd make sure to at least have a surge suppressor to help protect your system. Cheap PSUs in particular often can't handle power fluctuations too well; that could be how your other parts died.
January 27, 2011 8:03:18 PM

I'm sure electricity in Beirut is far from decent, I've had three routers dying, like.
But I had a 450W Thermaltake only for my GPU, showing syndroms (system restarts after 15-30 minutes of gaming) then dying after a year or so remains unexplained.
February 1, 2011 2:48:03 PM

Hello again everyone
Good news : this 5770 I was asking about is not for sale anymore, BUT
I've got this mate in the US now, he's due back on the 10th, so I'm probably getting a couple of parts shipped to his hotel.

I was thinking of getting a 6850 or a 6870 with a proper PSU :

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-371-...

Is it a good choice ?
And most of all, will my Motherboard support them properly ?
I've got a Intel G41RQ.

Thanks again
February 1, 2011 5:07:02 PM

that power supply looks good and either the 6850 or 6870 would suit your needs, personally I would go with the 6870, that is the choice I made about 3 months ago for my system...

If you are willing to try to overclock your cpu to around 3.0 ghz or more I would go with the 6870, otherwise I would stick with the 6850 because the additional performance of the 6870 will likely be held back with a 2.1 ghz clock frequency, in fact the 6850 will probably be held back a bit with that low of a clock frequency imo
February 1, 2011 8:12:22 PM

I know nothing about overclocking, I barely got what you said...

I think I'm gonna go for the 6850. The 6870 is more power-hungry and expensive just for a couple of fps'es...

Main worry now is my Mobo. Will it fully support such cards ? (PCI 1.1 and all...)
February 1, 2011 9:42:24 PM

That's a good PSU. It will handle either of those cards, no sweat.
February 1, 2011 9:44:47 PM

That card should run fine with the system you posted. I'm running two 5770s in my system right now and they're great.
February 1, 2011 11:03:54 PM

yes your motherboard will be just fine, get the 6850 and you should have some nice performance!
February 2, 2011 5:54:30 AM

All right lads thanks for the advice I'm gonna try and order them by today, most probably the 6850.

In case I wanna Crossfire either of those cards in the future, this PSU will support it right ?
2x6870's should be enough on a 650W Antec ?
But I'll have to change my Mobo ?
February 2, 2011 5:57:53 AM

And I'm reading that the 5850 is more powerful than the 6850...
Is it worth it for 5 more dollars ?

What do you reckon ?
February 2, 2011 12:14:00 PM

kopite1892 said:
And I'm reading that the 5850 is more powerful than the 6850...
Is it worth it for 5 more dollars ?

What do you reckon ?

The 5850 is pretty much in between the 6850 and 6870 in performance so is a pretty good deal for the price but the 6xxx series does have a few improvements which may help performance as newer games arrive and do scale better in crossfire than the 5xxx generation so if you are planning on keeping it for awhile and possibly using crossfire later then the 6xxx cards are probably a better choice at this point. (you lose a bit of performance but get a bit better xfire scaling and better tesselation support etc. for the $)
February 2, 2011 12:22:08 PM

All right, I'm gonna stay away from the 5xxx series, I want the more future-proof solution.
And I will probably Crossfire in the near future, sounds a neat idea.
6850, or 6870 is the way to go (unsure which one to get)

Since newegg doesn't ship to hotels, Amazon is the only alternative.

Read a lot about PSUs and made my mind up, I'm getting this Antec TruePower 650W

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Truepower-TP-650-650-Watt-C...

And which GPU manufacturer is the best ? Always used Sapphire products myself, and no complaints, yet.
Sapphire, XFX or HIS ?
February 2, 2011 2:24:55 PM

XFX for their lifetime warranty otherwise the reference designs are all the same
February 3, 2011 6:33:26 PM

ORDER SUCCESSFUL

Subtotal of Items: $313.56
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
------
Total for this Order: $313.56

Delivery estimate: February 7, 2011
1 "Antec Truepower New 23652 TP-650 650-Watt EPS 12V 80Plus Certified SLI Ready Power Supply"
Electronics; $82.07

1 "XFX Radeon HD 6870 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card HD687AZNFC"
Electronics; $231.49

-----------------------------------

Thanks everyone for the help, so glad I've joined this community.
I will receive the parts in 10 days like. Will post feedback as soon as I set up the rig.

Cheers
February 4, 2011 5:26:57 AM

nice, enjoy your new upgrades, should run like a dream and let us know how it turns out
February 13, 2011 11:13:01 AM

All right everyone
Just received my parts a couple of hours ago, damn they look good.

Anyway, end of the honeymoon.
I've installed the parts (rightly I hope), and I boot into Windows, then install the drivers from CD.
The system hangs. I have to soft-reset it, and when it boots back into Windows, it hangs before showing the Blue Screen (BSoD)
I try booting in Safe Mode, I delete the old+new drivers, fix the registry and clean the drivers, then reinstall the new ones, and the system still hangs.

Then I tried installing a fresh version of Windows (7 32-bit) after formatting the system drive, booted into Windows, and installed the drivers first thing. No sudden hanging and BSoDs.
Next thing I wanted to do is enable Aero, so I type Aero in the search bar then choose Fix ...
When it's detecting problems and fixing them, the system hangs again, with BSoDs.
I happen to see small black and white squares before the BSoDs.

I don't know what I did wrong here, really...
SOS.
February 13, 2011 11:27:04 AM

It does the same with every application using the VGA (games)
February 14, 2011 10:25:07 AM

Just updated to the latest drivers, 11.1, and it seems to work for now !

Happy days
!