Sign in with
Your question

will only get power when the 8 pin atx is diconected but wont boot

Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2012 3:45:27 AM

Put together the pc. Booted up first time without a hitch went thru the bios everything checked out. Installed windows 7 and was messing around with it all last night. No additional graphics cards or anything are installed yet. Turned off the pc and when I woke up in the a.m. went to turn it on. Nothing! Great! Didn't want to get hexed so side cover was not even put on yet. So i'm checking cables and connections every thing seems fine when I try to power up a flash of the cooling fans leds and a quick spin and that's it. So I disconnected all the usb stuff(mouse, keyboard), and disconnected the 8 pin atx (of course the 24 pin is still pluged in) and pluged the power back in and hit it. all the fans go I think the HDD spins up the cpu fans go (Corsair H-100). but will not boot and without the 12v power the manual says it wont. So I shut everything down and plug the 8 pin back in and nothing, just a quick flash of power and that's it. PLEASE HELP!

MB: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: I-7 2700K 3.5 GHz
MEM: G.SKILL RipJaw DDR3-2133 4gbX2 for 8gb
March 7, 2012 4:21:46 AM

nelie1961 said:
Put together the pc. Booted up first time without a hitch went thru the bios everything checked out. Installed windows 7 and was messing around with it all last night. No additional graphics cards or anything are installed yet. Turned off the pc and when I woke up in the a.m. went to turn it on. Nothing! Great! Didn't want to get hexed so side cover was not even put on yet. So i'm checking cables and connections every thing seems fine when I try to power up a flash of the cooling fans leds and a quick spin and that's it. So I disconnected all the usb stuff(mouse, keyboard), and disconnected the 8 pin atx (of course the 24 pin is still pluged in) and pluged the power back in and hit it. all the fans go I think the HDD spins up the cpu fans go (Corsair H-100). but will not boot and without the 12v power the manual says it wont. So I shut everything down and plug the 8 pin back in and nothing, just a quick flash of power and that's it. PLEASE HELP!

MB: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: I-7 2700K 3.5 GHz
MEM: G.SKILL RipJaw DDR3-2133 4gbX2 for 8gb

CASE: Corsair Carbide 500 WT Mid
COOLER: Corsair Water Cooler H-100
PSU: Corsair GS800 (800 Watt)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
VID: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1 GB (not installed)
OPTICAL: DVD Burner, cd/dvd drive, Blue Ray
March 18, 2012 5:40:46 PM

i'm currently having the same issue with my 2 year old build after a bios update
!