Graphic Card upgrades becoming less worthwhile

GodOfTech

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I know to some of you this may sound like a troll post, but I don't intend it that way. I want to give my opinion on the current PC gaming state.

Over the years we've seen this shift from PC to console gaming. I like PC gaming myself, but it doesn't seem the same as it use to be and most titles are cross platform these days. This brings me to my point and that is we probably don't see the full benefit of all this horsepower and technologies in the latest GFX cards. Sure it's awesome....It's just games are primarily made for consoles and then some sloppy afterwork is done to the PC version and sure we can add AA. This means the latest technology that we all spend money on doesn't really see the full benefit. I suspect even crysis 2 wont be the ground breaker that its predecessor was (Even if the gameplay was pretty average)

PC gaming isn't dead like some claim....it's a shadow of its former self though. Please discuss thankyou.

:)

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It certainly isn't what it used to be, but it still has a good market and those few titles that really focus on the latest graphics capabilities of the PC are worth all this trouble we go to because we can honestly say that we have truly better gaming experiences than consolers.

But basically, console gaming is holding PC gaming back, even developers like Crytek have said that openly.

Well, I can mostly agree with this. And yet there's always at least a few games that can push the hardware. The last one to really be a "system killer" was Metro 2033, but even Starcraft 2 can be demanding with ultra settings and AA.

But yeah, I think that anyone who buys a solid GPU right now is going to be set for several years, where as it wasn't that long ago that you'd pretty quickly find yourself going from High settings to Medium.

SirAser

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
If games on PC is on retrate ..then im f***... i HAVE tryid to learn ..using a controller ...but i freakin just cant... use it - all i manage is to turn my bud to som blazing guns and most of the time, all i see is the sky(dead)

for that freakin frustrating reason, ill NEVER turn into a console-user ...sry my frustrating language ..just hate those controllers so much!!!

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Hopefully as the next batch of consoles are released (2013 anyone?) they will be pushing the boundaries of what graphics cards nowadays are capable of. Hopefully this may lead to PC gaming become demanding... hopefully.

The other thing holding PC gaming back is for devs reducing graphics quality to reach a larger audience. Starcraft II, however, runs great on older systems with settings turned down, and looks amazing with the settings cranked up for more powerful systems. I really hope they do this with Crysis 2 :D

PC gaming will never die off period. I don't see the Newtbox running emulators, VM machines ect, multiple instances of wow while doing every thing else. I used to like the consoles but that was close to a decade ago.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

so you're suggesting that if metro2033 wasn't multi-platform it will do what exactly(from the gpu horsepower and tech standpoint? and a nick on sloppy work.)?

point is, on the portion of your post that says something about the full benefit, any dx11 title with heavy tessellation will make most of todays gpus to crawl whether or not it's a console port or pc exclusive @ hd resolutions.

not everything is based on unreal3, in which majority of crossplatform titles use as a game engine which i believe is the basis of your rant.

Ugh I don't much like Unreal engine with the sole exception of BioShock lol (for PC games I mean).

The next great PC experience, I think, will be Battlefield 3. They've specially developed their newest engine, Frostbite 3, to optimize DX11 graphics. It should be wonderful!

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
What about WCG? Most of the games on there are PC. Seriously, especially FPS. You will need a mouse and keyboard to play them, console FPS just doesn't feel right.