Sign in with
Your question

(1000 budget computer ) Need MOBO HELP!!!!!

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2011 10:40:13 PM

Processor $224.99
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video Card $249.99+$4.99
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

RAM $49.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

CASE +FAN $59.99 + $21.99+ (3.99)
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan

Hard Drive $59.99
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare

Driver$19.99+6.98
ASUS Black 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk – OEM

Power Supply$79.99+(0.00)
Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Total=782.88

Ok this is the build so far, i'm pretty happy with what is up there but i keep running into MOBO problem. I have a few weeks before i start ordering, this means most of the P67 MOBO'S that have been recalled will be coming back around the time i order. I'm looking for a MOBO within the range of $100-$150 (max at 175)

-Wont be overclocking at the start
-Will be heavy MMO (games) use involved in this computer
-Will be running Windows 7

Please only knowledge people with custom gaming computer answer, i've posted 2x with similar type questions and keep getting people re-writing entire build.....

Thank You in advance
April 1, 2011 12:14:50 AM

Hey, I've got just the ticket Asus P8P67-M Pro has usb 3.0 sata 6gb/s SLI/CFX loads of goodies, but the real kicker its 149.99 +shipping :) 

PS. All the reviews that I've seen never talk much about the important parts of the board, they only gripe at the UEFI which in my opinion, is a very small concern considering how seldom people enter the bias.

m
l
April 1, 2011 12:26:59 AM

Check out my siggy.

Changes to suggest.
Get a Storm Scout or Antec Illusion. Don't waste 20$ on a 200mm fan, not worth it. That'll save 10$.

Get the Samsung F3 1TB. Same cost but 500gb more space and same speed.

The MSI P67A-G45 would be within your range, spend 10$ more over your mobo budget and you get an Asrock Extreme4 P67.

I don't really suggest mATX boards. They suck, dual slot cards are getting more prominent and even though that specific board offers dual 16x 2.0 ports, you can't use them because one single 560 Ti would cover up the other slot. And the length would cover the sata ports. Just something to think about.

Spend 10$ more and get this quiet modular PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It'll reduce clutter but also provide enough power for SLI 560 Ti's when you choose to upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2011 12:27:25 AM

The problem is that when it comes to motherboards I'm a "noob", i just don't under stand the differences

Like these two were the most recommended and i just don't know the differences

ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67

or

MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67

or

Yours

What the differences the Con's and Pro's to each can you help explain what i need to be looking for?

As for the 2nd person post both are in my price range, i have 1k budget just trying to keep it as low, thx for the input on the PSU, why would you choose the Cooler over the Antec? as for the 200m fan, as for the fan just felt like i need some color in my computer case =). As for the disk i under stand 1T being better memory, but i just wont ever use 1tb, the most i will have one here is windows 7 ventrilo , a few mmos, firefox, and the other basics (Word/adobe/symantec endpoint virus scan...etc).
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:31:04 AM

Ok, so how much do you know about the motherboards first off, I don't want to be retracing what you've seen in studying about boards.

I.E. what I've stated already UEFI, SLI etc.
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:33:12 AM

Asrock Pro3 is good board. However cannot be recommended when the G45 sits so close. Asrock provides good enthusiast class boards at a low price that perform fairly well. Only issue is when you plan to upgrade, the Pro3 doesn't have another PCI Express 16x 2.0 slot (that's the slot for your graphics card)

MSI G45 is a great board. I recommend this board over both because it has 2 slots of PCI 16x 2.0 that run 8x/8x when ran in dual card SLI/CF. Plus the board has OC genie, for noobs this is just a one click overclocker. It'll overclock your CPU in a click, not the most efficient way (as you can hand OC it yourself) but it is still good. Good amount of mobo features at the bottom right, usually MSI boards offer pretty good features.

Asus P67-ProM, Hard to recommend this board. It's an mATX and as stated dual cards will cover up the extra PCI 16x 2.0 slot. Although it'll OC well, it doesn't have that much over the Pro3 or the G45.
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:36:06 AM

As for what i understand on MOBOS the basic connection, don't know anything much pass is it compatible with (CPU/RAM/Video Card..etc)

What i don't understand
-BIOS
-What the hell is sata and why is it important
-why x MOBO is Better than y MOBO when they have same price and stuff on it
- why have some P67 been pulled off for i5 2500k deterioration problems and other haven't
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:39:04 AM

+1 for AznShinobi, but are you 100% positive on the fact that the "pro M" has constraints concerning the PCI-E slots because the board spaces a PCI-E x1 slot in between two x16 slots and that should leave enough room for two dual slot graphics cards.

*bites fingernails because it is already bought*

-Sata is the connection that your Hard drive and Optical Drive uses, and it is faster than IDE
-Azn Shinobi just stated why the MSI board was better because of an extra slot for a graphics card
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:48:12 AM

Concerning the deterioration problems, I have only heard of the original boards (ones that DO NOT say REV or B3 in the title) after a period of about 3 years were speculated to have Sata II ports deteriorate rendering the hard drive useless.

But, the boards in question are revised for this problem and I havn't heard of problems arising with any of the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

*searches the internet for cases of deteriorating I5 2500Ks *
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:52:13 AM

Now as for a hard drive if i was to go grab one of these

ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157230

or

MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813130582

Are they just as good as the 150$ ones, will they be great for this build or do i need to look higher

Also this computer will be seeing alot of MMORPG action, so i need something that can handle the long hours of game play, also so as SATA goes does the 500g hard drive i pick have a connection or do i need to order one? can anything else be connect by SATA?
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:01:39 AM

-ok as the boards go, I would choose the MSI P67A-G45 as suggested because of future expandability, and it will be a great board no doubt.
-yes your hard drive uses sata, in the list above it says "Sata 6gb/s" also known as SATA III this is the brand new standard for hard drives. Also sata is used to connect your optical drive.
-when you say "[does the hard drive have the connection]" do you mean the cord? if so then no, the PSU and Motherboard contain the physical cord to connect your hard drive.

PS. didn't find any I5 2500ks that deteriorated :) 
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:07:28 AM

Oo SATA is the interface. SATA CAble is the thing your going to use to connect your HDD to the Mobo. A little google on OP part could simplify it for you needhelp. It'd be easier to read up than to sponge in all this info from us forum members.
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:08:51 AM

Thank You so much

just a few more quick questions, (best response i've ever gotten)

-Does this build look ok, in the sense that everything will work with each over with no unforeseen problems
-Is 650W good enough ( i don't plan on going sli or 2 video cards for like 1-2 years so if i upgrade i will bring in a new PSU)
-What does the BIOS do, are they like the set up for the speed of the CPU/video cards
-The biggest fear i have after building it is a problem with cooling, this is why i have grabbed a 200m fan and the MSI video card with the 2x fans, is the cooling for this System respectable? i play on doing 3-4 hours on weekdays and pulling 6+hours on weekends in MMORPG games so it is important.

- how hard will this be to put together, i've upgrade computers, but never build a scratch one, i plan on getting anti-static strap befroe building, but in general for a "New Builder" hoe hard will it be?

LAST!!! do you think i should pay 45$ extra and go for the 8gig G.SKILL Ripjaws Series ? Pros/Cons
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:17:59 AM

Yes it looks good.

I think even a 550w would be good enough then.

BIOS sets speed for CPU and just manages the skeletons of the computer. If you've seen or heard of DOS, it is a little like that. UEFI is a little more user friendly adding mouse clicks instead of just keyboard.

No it is good enough, if your case is the Antec 300 Illusion you'll have no problems.

You don't really need one, but if you do want one ground yourself to the case. It is really easy to put it together.

Honestly OP, google this stuff. Youtube it even, it is how I learned to build my PC. Youtube has lots of helpful guides that respond faster (since they are archived videos) For instance in my siggy. An entire section for builders and terminology.
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:32:36 AM

1.OK, this build as spect out looks great

2. 650w is good enough for what you are going to do, you might ask how do I know? here is an online PSU calculator, if you need help in the future and don't want to go to the forums this will help.>http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

3. the bias is where once you assemble your computer, you will tell the computer to boot from the optical drive and procede to install windows for the first time.
- the cpu can be overclocked from the bias but the GPU cannot, this does not matter however because you are going to research before you overclock anyway ;) 

4. your case could use a fan or two, and peace of mind is the best thing on earth so if you don't have any check out the Antec 300 Illusion, one of the top rated cases on newegg and has 4 case fans built in, plus LEDs :D 

5. This is what I told my parents when they got scared of my ambitions, a computer is nothing but an overgrown puzzle with only ~10 pieces max but you have manuals to tell you in depth where everything is supposed to be placed.
To help you with your assembly check this out I love how this guy makes everything sound easy and fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo

honestly with the memory I can't justify the use of more than 4gb of ram, becouse I am also a beginner, but I studied this topic from October 2010 till now nearly everyday (yes I have no life :)  ) but you can get that info later or upgrade later.

Don't Fear the computer, just be careful and listen to the video I gave you he explains everything!

anything else?

m
l
April 1, 2011 1:46:17 AM

aznshinobi said:
Yes it looks good.

I think even a 550w would be good enough then.

BIOS sets speed for CPU and just manages the skeletons of the computer. If you've seen or heard of DOS, it is a little like that. UEFI is a little more user friendly adding mouse clicks instead of just keyboard.

No it is good enough, if your case is the Antec 300 Illusion you'll have no problems.

You don't really need one, but if you do want one ground yourself to the case. It is really easy to put it together.

Honestly OP, google this stuff. Youtube it even, it is how I learned to build my PC. Youtube has lots of helpful guides that respond faster (since they are archived videos) For instance in my siggy. An entire section for builders and terminology.

The case that he has in the beginning of the thread is the HAF 912 + a fan but that is more expensive than the Antec 300 Illusion, Which I suggested for him to buy, as I have one sitting next to me at this very moment. Also,I have given him a really good 1part video on how to build a computer so he is all set. And furthermore, asking forums is just fine because the OP can learn bad habits in the comments section of youtube;don't falt him for asking us.
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:55:22 AM

Hey, OP do you have any more questions

(Hey, Hey, Listen)-Zelda :p 
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:56:56 AM

So you suggested him to get the HAF 912 + a Fan over an Antec 300 Illusion? If your saying you suggested the 300 first, I was the 2nd poster, and I suggested the 300.

Also, my guide does list how to build a computer at the top and the terms. Just saying.

I'm not faulting OP, but I'm just saying it would be faster. And that isn't true. Course he isn't me. I just immediately disregard commenters. Google takes 1 second, forums take a few hours. Just suggesting an alternative.
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:06:27 AM

aznshinobi said:
So you suggested him to get the HAF 912 + a Fan over an Antec 300 Illusion? If your saying you suggested the 300 first, I was the 2nd poster, and I suggested the 300.

Also, my guide does list how to build a computer at the top and the terms. Just saying.

I'm not faulting OP, but I'm just saying it would be faster. And that isn't true. Course he isn't me. I just immediately disregard commenters. Google takes 1 second, forums take a few hours. Just suggesting an alternative.

Ok, sounds like we crossed wires a little bit,
-I have a moderately slow internet connection and I thought that you had commented after me that the 'Haf would be good enough and he doesn't need the 'Illusion, when it was backwords
-I didn't say that anything about your guides, I am confused at where you got that?
- Earlier on you said that the OP shouldn't sponge form the forum members, I thought that you were getting irritated with the OP

So, basicly disregard that last post, everything is good :) 
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:09:12 AM

2290956,3,497688 said:
Check out my siggy.

Changes to suggest.
Get a Storm Scout or Antec Illusion. Don't waste 20$ on a 200mm fan, not worth it. That'll save 10$.

quotemsg]

Ok, Here it is, I didn't see this post

sorry for nipping at you
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:11:28 AM

^ Haha

Well I know you didn't say anything about my guide. Just meant that at the top of it there is a feature of how to build a computer.

As for the sponge metaphor. I just meant that sometimes it is easier to read an article and understand the terms faster than us explaining it. Depending on the term.
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:14:57 AM

Hmm. since the OP seems to have left I have a question for you where did you see that the Asus P8P67-M Pro couldn't fit two dual slotted graphics cards, I started to get nervous when you said this because I am waiting on it to ship to my house.

Edit: and I 2nd that it is easier to read an article than always depend on forums, I got most of my info off of Tomshardware!
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:20:44 AM

9.6" x 9.6" are the dimensions for the P8P67-M Pro

The 560 Ti is a 9"+ card. That is the reference design. A 6870 would cover the sata ports coming in at 9" 7cm+ reference.
Source: http://www.linustechtips.com/ltt-videos/nvidia-geforce-...

MicroATX cases only have about 5 back slot, 2 dual cards would equal 4, that's basically almost all of the space. leaving almost no room left. Especially not for something like a sound card.
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:27:18 AM

ok, but the PNY 560 TI that I bought was 8.25" long as stated by new egg which leaves 1.35 inches left, and I am not going to upgrade to a sound card so that leaves 1 slot inbetween the two graphics cards. Also noting that the thick part of the GPU that hangs over would enter the next slot over-top of the PCI-E x1 slot, wouldn't that mean that two would fit but the lower GPU would have a little more heat problems. Which even if you had heat problems you could raise the fan speed manually, and the dispersal of graphics load across the two cards would make up for this shouldn't it?

PS. My 'Illusion has a spot overtop of the GPU to cool them down, so again wouldn't all these factors cancell out the problems?
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:32:03 AM

It's actually usually the top card that gets hotter because heat goes up. But I guess the bottom card could possibly get hotter. It really depends on the card. Cards like the twin frozr have those heatpipes rear vents (all cards have the rear vents) and the dual fans that are pretty sweet at dispersing heat. Again PNY probably makes custom PCB's so it really all depends on the manufacturer. But why go mATX when an ATX board is cheaper and performs basically the same.
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:40:18 AM

" Why go mATX when an ATX board is cheaper and performs basically the same"

Because, when I was buying my board the only board in with dual PCI-E x16 slots were either expensive ATX boards or the mATX boards with the same features but cheaper, I went with Asus becouse I trust them.

oh, well I'll tackle that problem once it gets here then, I don't have two 560's in my backpocket so by then I should be able to upgrade my mobo./GPU anyway.
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:57:28 AM

True, I was waiting on the extreme4 because I had spec'd this build before the recall but it will turn out ok.
Funny thing is though, Asrock and Asus are the same company :D 
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:08:02 AM

Thx for all your post , sorry for being late on post, friend call me for a few drinks, as the case go i was looking a the spec/cost and found it, the 200mm fan is to add color (don't ask me why), just like red, and also i owned a 900 so i love the 200mm fans b/c it pulls so much air. as for the information i build i would really be happy it the links were post, as for anti-static band i live in a apartment and half of it is covered in carpet so its a extra precaution for static discharge.

Let me just double check
-Power = solid
-Build = solid
-building will be helped with watching some videos/posts
-And the mother board i selected MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 is perfect.
-And 4gigs of ram will work?

Thank you all for your help
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:13:27 AM

No problem,Looks good to me , how about you 'Shinobi

PS. If you have trouble when you are assembling the PC you can come back to the forums and ask questions.
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:24:23 AM

Once again thank you guys for helping me, you guys have helped more than all the last 6 threads I've posted
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:28:32 AM

Haha no problem. Good luck.
m
l
!