Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASRock 770 Extreme3 and BD?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2012 9:16:41 AM

ASRock now has a Beta Bios for this board. Has anyone tried to install a BD?

Is it stable? I may just go i5/Z68 and forget about it anyway. But it may be worth a try to upgrade to 8120 if it will work.

Thanks, AlderonnX

More about : asrock 770 extreme3

a c 717 V Motherboard
March 7, 2012 12:55:23 PM

The beta lists "L1.91 for Update CPU code to support AM3+ CPU." Where did you get "BD"? Ref - http://www.asrock.com/mb/beta.asp?Model=770%20Extreme3

'My thoughts' are normally I only recommend 970~990FX chipsets for the FX CPUs so folks can obtain the optimal performance. Your MOBO can support up to a 140W CPU, so if the beta BIOS includes support for the FX-8120 then it should work.

Problem, the ASRock 770 Extreme3 isn't a stellar MOBO to start out with and so besides it 'running' the FX-8120 @ stock my deeper concerns are OC'ing a very OC'able CPU...

General reasons for updating a BIOS, this falls under (#1) reason:

In short, if you have no problems then my best advice is NOT to flash.

Examples 'when to flash':
1. CPU requires newer BIOS version
2. Non-OS Instability
3. Peripherals e.g. 2TB HDD requires new BIOS.
4. Memory compatibility ; where current RAM is causing errors or stability
Score
March 7, 2012 9:05:34 PM

Everything is stable at it current state.. And yes your right, 770 EX3 is kinda a "meh" board. No xfire, and no real upgrade path at this point.

I think i will just stick to modding my case until i bite the bullet and upgrade in a big way.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
March 7, 2012 10:05:15 PM

IMO, if your current system does what you need it to do then I see little reason to upgrade. Now, if you're a hardcore gamer, do sizable and complex rendering, CAD, or similar intensive work then sure I 'get it' and recommend that you go for it...

Further, if there's no immediate need then wait and see what the Ivy Bridge does and compare prices, but from what I know the prices 'should' remain on par to the current Sandy Bridge. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike AMD but they really messed-up and oddly for me to say even just for the money to performance the Intel is the better upgrade path. Normally, I would be saying AMD $ to Performance.

Once IB comes out give it at least 2+ months for early adopters to get the bugs worked out. Intel ain't perfect either...
March 7, 2012 10:43:21 PM

Best answer selected by AlderonnX.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 12:52:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!