Solved

HTPC - Dual Atom or Dual Celeron?

Trying to decide which barebones system I want to buy to build up an inexpensive HTPC. Main goals: Hulu, Netflix, etc., maybe some very light weight family gaming like seek n find stuff.

I found a post or two round the net stating a dual Celeron will blow away a dual Atom in terms of performance. And that the main benefit of Atom is low power consumption.

I'm leaning towards dual Celeron barebones needing OS, HD, Memory; but I can buy a dual Atom only needing the OS for a few dollars more.

Help a sista out!
Thanks,
Jen
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about htpc dual atom dual celeron
  1. Celeron is much more powerful then an Atom, but I do say both will do what you want it to do. Just dont expect the Atom to blast through things.
  2. Best answer
    Besides atom and celeron, there's also the new AMD Fusion (Zacate) options (link). The CPU is a little bit faster than atom, but the graphics are much better than the ion setups.

Another option to consider is a Celeron SU2300 setup. More powerful CPU than Zacate or Atom, but still very low power. There isn't much of a selection though. Only one board on newegg (link)

And then there's the new i3 Sandy Bridge processors. Pair one up with an H67 motherboard and you'll have quite a little powerhouse.

The above options are for a DIY build-it-yourself kind of setup. You may also want to consider a barebones HTPC like the Zotac Zbox. Here's one that includes everything, except the OS: Zotac ZBOX-AD03BR-PLUS-U

ASRock also sells similar mini-HTPC barebones systems (link).

It all depends on your budget, I guess.
  3. Thanks guys! I had narrowed it down to the Zotac with the Celeron SU2300 Ion set up. Then I found a video review online about a new Zotac with the AMD and Radeon 6310, similar to the set up twpritchett just recommended. I think I'm going to get the barebones system since I won't need the hard drive, memory, OS or the Blu-Ray.

Thanks for confirming that the Celeron was better than the Atom. If I can't find the Zotac AMD soon then I'll end up with the Zotac Celeron for sure.

I am very excited to get this project rolling!
    Jen
  4. Best answer selected by seriesshorty.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Celeron Barebones Systems Product