Budget Gaming Build $800

biensur

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I currently game on a 24" iMac via BootCamp. It has a 2.93GHz C2Duo, ATI 4850 Mobility 512MB, and 8GB RAM. Windows 7 64-bit.
I want better framerates and I'd like to do it under $1000, preferably around $800.

Approximate Purchase Date: no time or budget deadline, soon, this week, this month.

Budget Range: $800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: just to install steam and play MW2 and BlackOps, L4D2, Dirt2. No internet, office, photos, etc. Nothing but Steam gaming.

Parts Not Required: speakers (just going to use headphones for gaming)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I've always had Intel/Nvidia but I'm curious and excited about trying AMD/ATI parts.

Overclocking: I'm interested in overclocking the CPU or GPU, as long as I don't have to install 6 fans or water pipes. Simple bumps (3.0 to 3.2, with stock or cheap cooling) I can do.

SLI or Crossfire: Not now, not a big deal for me to have two cards. if I get the ability with the mobo choice, it'll be a bonus.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, I want 16:9. I'm tired of 16:10

Additional Comments:

I'm using the guide listed on http://www.tomshardware.com/system-configuration-recommendation-55.html
I've made a couple changes - see my list so far - http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19993967

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION:
Instead of the HIS 5770 card listed in the build guide, will a 5850 card be too much for the BioStar mobo?
I think 650W power supply can handle everything, just making sure the video card isn't too much (physically too large, draws too much power, not compatible with the A770E3, etc.)

Also, the last PC I built was more than 5 years ago. Do I need extra fans for the case? I'm assuming I have to buy extra parts too (thermal paste, cables, connectors, etc.) but is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
800SandyBridgeDesktopnoMonitor.jpg

Yeah, I just showed you an sub $800 Sandy Bridge gaming rig, haha