Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 2500K temps..

Last response: in CPUs
July 3, 2011 12:53:24 PM

I have recently built a gaming PC. I intially bought a Noctua NH-D14 heatsink.. but my RAM sat too high. So I am currently using the stock heatsink/cooler.

During most games it seams the cores stay in the 50's C, but when playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 online I used CPUID and it had the cores in the mid 60's. Even had highs of 90 C. Dunno how long though.

Like now when I am just doing normal tasks they are in the mid 30's. My GPU gets to mid 50's when gaming.

I am alittle concerned that the chip is running too hot during games. Should I be?

My system- (Not overclocked)

Asus P8Z68 Pro V
i5 2500K
8gb Vengeance
GTX 580
AX850 PSU
Full tower dragon rider case (tons of ventilation)

Thanks.

More about : intel 2500k temps

a c 81 à CPUs
July 3, 2011 12:58:41 PM

Its all good considering you are using the stock cooler. Mid 60's is fine. The Noctua NH-D14 is a damn good cooler and since you have it, definitely use it. Change your memory modules if required.
m
l
July 3, 2011 1:01:09 PM

I just ran prime95 for like 2 minutes just to see temps on CPUID. All 4 cores were mid 90's C.
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
July 3, 2011 1:15:17 PM

Now that is high. But also Prime 95 stretches a PC the most. So this might still be within limits again considering a stock cooler. Just to be sure, have you installed the cooler firmly? Did you apply the thermal paste properly? How is your case airflow?
m
l
July 3, 2011 1:32:22 PM

The airflow is really good. Technically Fry's computer people put the TIM and cooler on. So I hope they did a good job. I bought Artic 5 .. dunno if they even used it. I kept mentioning using an after market cooler and they were like no no... you don't need one. Stupid, I know.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 1:49:33 PM

Have you tried changing the fan layout of the noctua? One in the middle and one on the end,may not produce the the best noctua can do but will be better than most and worlds better than the stock cooler.
m
l
July 3, 2011 1:59:53 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Have you tried changing the fan layout of the noctua? One in the middle and one on the end,may not produce the the best noctua can do but will be better than most and worlds better than the stock cooler.

No I haven't. I am a novice when it comes to this stuff. Trying to keep it simple...
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 2:21:03 PM

It might allow the heatsink to fit is why I say that.
m
l
July 3, 2011 2:32:09 PM

sportsfanboy said:
It might allow the heatsink to fit is why I say that.

True, unfotuantely I am kicking myself at the moment. I somehow lost one of these screw type things for it. It comes with 4... I only have 3. rrrrr..

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 3:33:25 PM

A 2500K shouldn't be running that hot at stock speed even when loading it with Prime95. The Fry's techs didn't install the cooler correctly, or the fan isn't running at the correct RPM or something. Could be something to do with the thermal compound as well.

If you take the right side panel off, you should be able to see the back of the mainboard through a hole in the tray. Do you see all four of the white mounting pin heads poking through the mainboard? And is there a black pin poking through the middle of each white pin head?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 4:27:56 PM

I'm sure they'll have no problem sending replacement screws.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 5:29:15 PM

my 2500k with aftermarket cooler runs about 30 degree's idle, and high 50's when under load (gaming, not prime or 100% cpu software tests)
m
l
!